MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Building New Forum this Weekend
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm going to make this a detailed post that way I can always refer back to it when it is needed.

I've been running a forum on a free hosting site with a subdomain extension. The hosting site disagrees that our content is viewable to anyone over/under 18 and they want us to change the way we handle the viewing. I've ran this forum a solid year without issue, until the host became under new ownership and suddenly we have to pack up and move.

I am looking for advice, suggestions, tips, support to getting this new forum launched this weekend, and as best possible. I wasn't planning on doing this for at least another 3 months. I have a domain picked out (sort of), I do not know much about how to keep our forum secure, and I also am waiting to pick up a new PC within the next 4 weeks. I have Linux as my OS and I am having trouble figuring out how to get the MYbb 1.6 installed on my laptop.

Can anyone lend a hand here with how to get started on this new forum? If I could at least get an idea of what it looked like I could start testing out scripts and getting a feel of the cPanel, but I can not seem to even get it open once I extract the zip file. I appologize as I am sure it is easy. Please let me know anything if you can.

Thank you
Wow 868 views and not a response. Well OK, I bought the domain and the hosting tonight at GoDaddy.com, but I'm really not sure how to upload the MYbb template. I guess thats where I will be looking for my first answer.
The mybb template is automatically installed when the software is installed.
Its all set up and looks amazing. Now just to add the thousands of plugins! It feels like a brand new car I cant wait to drive. I'm missing several very important features, but I have spent over 12 hours working on it and this continues in about 6 hours.
^ oh! I'd suggest to not add every fancy looking plugin ; add only the required plugins which improve the required functionality ...
Smile last night was extreme

I woke up and it didnt even feel real. I only have a small list of things to add. Its in the admin section. Im going to do my best to add them by tonight. If I cant figure something out I hope I can send you a PM.