MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: On my forum users commonly report PMs as sending blank...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Basically, for years now I have had complaints that fairly regularly, a PM will be sent by someone and then will be received blank by the recipient.

I don't know what to do.. does anyone know what might be wrong?

I am running the very latest version of MyBB, but the board is about 2 and a half years old.

Thanks,

Wave
I bet you have the private message quick response/reply plugin?
I had a similar problem at my forum a while ago, the creator of that plugin gave me a fix (it was a while ago I can't remember it)

Also list any plugins you have that effect private messaging.
No, we don't actually.

We only have 3 plugins that relate to PMs: PM On Registration 1.0, Report PMs 1.1 and AJAX PM Notification 1.8.1 but it's not active anyway.

Also, I think this problem has been going on for ages, I don't think we had the Report PMs plugin when this started for one thing o.O

Any thoughts? >.<
I had that happen once. IIRC it turned out the sender had quoted something but omitted either the closing quote tag or a part of it, which resulted in the message appearing to be blank even though it wasn't.

I assume you have sql access? Try something like SELECT * FROM mybb_privatemessages
WHERE message = '';
to see whether there are any genuinely blank messages. I think there won't be.

And if you have a particular pm which has been reported then select that from the database and see what is actually contained within the message field. [Or just have the recipient hit reply and they should see what was actually contained within a new set of quote tags--it will probably be a message which was rendered invisible for some reason.]