MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Clean the Mods site
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We need the mods site cleaned. Searching a simple phrase "mybb Guest notice" for example on Google will pop up plugins from 2008-2009, etc. These plugins (some) haven't been updated yet newbies who have just started using MyBB recently don't understand the dangers of old plugins. They install them, and if/when they don't function right, some don't delete them leaving them vulnerable to attacks. I think it's time plugins which haven't been updated since August the 3rd 2010 should be removed. No one runs 1.4x anymore (I think so), and since the aforementioned date, plugins updated for 1.6 are assumed to be safe as they are tested/looked over before approval.

Feedback?
(2012-03-05, 11:44 AM)The Elite Wrote: [ -> ]We need the mods site cleaned. Searching a simple phrase "mybb Guest notice" for example on Google will pop up plugins from 2008-2009, etc. These plugins (some) haven't been updated yet newbies who have just started using MyBB recently don't understand the dangers of old plugins. They install them, and if/when they don't function right, some don't delete them leaving them vulnerable to attacks. I think it's time plugins which haven't been updated since August the 3rd 2010 should be removed. No one runs 1.4x anymore (I think so), and since the aforementioned date, plugins updated for 1.6 are assumed to be safe as they are tested/looked over before approval.

Feedback?

I agree with you about cleaning abandoned plugins. But i don't agree that 1.4x is not used anymore. Its still used by some people.
(2012-03-05, 12:00 PM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-03-05, 11:44 AM)The Elite Wrote: [ -> ]We need the mods site cleaned. Searching a simple phrase "mybb Guest notice" for example on Google will pop up plugins from 2008-2009, etc. These plugins (some) haven't been updated yet newbies who have just started using MyBB recently don't understand the dangers of old plugins. They install them, and if/when they don't function right, some don't delete them leaving them vulnerable to attacks. I think it's time plugins which haven't been updated since August the 3rd 2010 should be removed. No one runs 1.4x anymore (I think so), and since the aforementioned date, plugins updated for 1.6 are assumed to be safe as they are tested/looked over before approval.

Feedback?

I agree with you about cleaning abandoned plugins. But i don't agree that 1.4x is not used anymore. Its still used by some people.

1.4 was going on for years, we can't leave 1.4 plugins just to suit a minor handful of people whose boards are most likely vulnerable. If not, and the sysadmin is keeping up with security, they're capable of upgrading their software to a much more recent version of MyBB. Furthermore, by keeping 1.4 plugins available, it's opening vulnerabilities to younger, newer webmasters.
They'll most likely be archived for historical reasons. I don't think there's a plan to migrate them over to the new mods site.

We also host downloads for MyBB all the way back to Preview Release 2 (PR2), but we don't expect users to try and install them.

Originally that's why the compatibility line was added, so if the plugin is outdated then it wouldn't be installable. Plugins with known security issues are removed from the mods site immediately too.
(2012-03-05, 11:44 AM)The Elite Wrote: [ -> ]Feedback?

There's been talk about a new mods site being in the works for a long time. Maybe it will come eventually.

(2012-03-05, 11:44 AM)The Elite Wrote: [ -> ]Furthermore, by keeping 1.4 plugins available, it's opening vulnerabilities to younger, newer webmasters.

Plugins that have vulnerabilities are usually removed when those vulnerabilities are reported. It doesn't have to do with being for 1.4 at all, for all we know, there probably are vulnerabilities in plugins that were published recently for MyBB 1.6. Just because it's validated and on the mods site, doesn't mean it's error free.

And young webmasters, sorry, but that's no excuse. If you run a website you just have to know what you are doing. If you break your forum by installing a badly made plugin, if you didn't bother to read its code first, to install it in a test copy of your forum first and test it thoroughly, if you didn't even bother to make a backup of your forum first before installing it so you could revert if necessary, then that is your own lazyness/incompetence at fault. MyBB.com is not responsible for your site, you are.
(2012-03-05, 12:45 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]There's been talk about a new mods site being in the works for a long time. Maybe it will come eventually.

It will be available alongside a wider range of updates across MyBB in the very near future.
By default the mod site only searches for plugins for 1.6.x.
(2012-03-05, 03:36 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]By default the mod site only searches for plugins for 1.6.x.

He's talking about when you google a plugin, a 1.4 version will appear. New webmasters would install it and be vulnerable to an attack.
(2012-03-05, 03:41 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]New webmasters would install it and be vulnerable to an attack.

No matter the users experience, or version of the plugin, there's always the chance of it being vulnerable. Saying the plugins should be removed because there may be a chance they're vulnerable isn't a good enough reason. If that's what you think, then we shouldn't release MyBB at all because there might be high risk vulnerabilities that haven't yet been discovered.

It's at the users discretion to choose which plugins to use.
I'd just like to inform officially to the public that the Mods site is actually finished - it's been a month or perhaps two, can't recall exactly. So it's no longer a myth Toungue

We're currently planning when to roll it out. I'm going to write a blog post and probably create a few wiki pages on how to use it to its full potential.
Pages: 1 2