MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Notifications as in XenForo and esoTalk!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Developers make things privately if they're hired to do some custom work. It's perfectly fair. I was thinking about looking at creating a small notification system for my own sites at some point..
(2012-05-03, 07:55 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]Developers make things privately if they're hired to do some custom work. It's perfectly fair. I was thinking about looking at creating a small notification system for my own sites at some point..

mmh I understand that.. But for the customer, why keeping it "private" if you can share it.. or resell it. I mean if I ever get a custom plugin I'd share it if demanded or at least sell it. Especially if it's really demanded like this plugin.. seems shaddy to me keeping it private and stuff, just saying Rolleyes
I do the same when I'm asked to make a custom plugin. The customer pays for it to be an exclusive piece of work. Think of it as being the same as hiring an artist to create a painting just for you. You don't expect them to create a copy and sell it to somebody else.
(2012-05-03, 10:14 PM)zero_X Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-03, 07:55 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]Developers make things privately if they're hired to do some custom work. It's perfectly fair. I was thinking about looking at creating a small notification system for my own sites at some point..

mmh I understand that.. But for the customer, why keeping it "private" if you can share it.. or resell it. I mean if I ever get a custom plugin I'd share it if demanded or at least sell it. Especially if it's really demanded like this plugin.. seems shaddy to me keeping it private and stuff, just saying Rolleyes

That's the part of agreement between customer and plugin creator.There is now if,why or any other questions about product,what has been agreed and delivered in that agreement is private and it conceres only two sides (plugin creator and customer),public audience is excluded from that agreement.

(2012-05-03, 10:29 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]I do the same when I'm asked to make a custom plugin. The customer pays for it to be an exclusive piece of work. Think of it as being the same as hiring an artist to create a painting just for you. You don't expect them to create a copy and sell it to somebody else.

(2012-05-03, 10:32 PM)Johnny S Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-03, 10:14 PM)zero_X Wrote: [ -> ]

That's the part of agreement between customer and plugin creator.There is now if,why or any other questions about product,what has been agreed and delivered in that agreement is private and it conceres only two sides (plugin creator and customer),public audience is excluded from that agreement.

It makes me feel like if I was on vBulletin or something Sad jk (I know it has nothing to do with that)... Don't get me wrong I completly understand the coder's side. What I was trying to say is that for good plugins like this that severe people could benefit from and it's continually requested it should be considered to public realease(I know the coder may not agree to this), that'll be my responsable choice as the costumer and because I love my forum software community and wanna see them improve their forum in every little aspect, but then again it's just my point of view.

P.S: euantor is it possible for you to say the name of the nudges plugin developer?
I tried to start a collective fund for plugin devs to promote public release of plugins a long time ago, but nobody seemed interested.

http://community.mybb.com/thread-53976.html

I am not sure I would be willing to pledge so much money now knowing that they will all be useless come 2.0, though.
Guys we're getting very off topic here.
Well I think it's a bit relevant. Some of us want/need this feature and aren't willing to wait two years for a software that will not even work with our current boards to get it. So we need to talk about solutions ...
I can tell you that the developer of the current plugin was Simon S. He made it for Riad a while back.
How hard is it to write such a plugin? How many lines of code?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8