MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Installing to Merge Later
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
None of this was covered in the instructions to either installing or merging, but while installing MyBB for the first time when you plan to merge/import a forum later and are at the point to create a database, but already have one, do you create a new database anyway?

I wound up using the same database and now I have phpbb3_ tables and mybb_ tables in the same database. But the instructions in Merge sounds as if there are supposed to be two databases.

Quote:Database Configuration

On this page, you must enter the database details for your existing forum software - not the MyBB forum you are merging into.

Are there supposed to be both sets of tables in one database, or am I going to have to redo the install? If I do, how do I unlock the install folder?

This may be obvious to some people, but it isn’t to people who have only been running a forum at the installation level for a few months. Especially when they have little to no experience with either phpBB or MyBB.

MyBB 1.6.5
MyBB Merge 1.6.2
You can use the same db with different prefixes if you want. However it is recommended to use 2 different databases.
(2012-03-08, 04:32 PM)Dylan M. Wrote: [ -> ]You can use the same db with different prefixes if you want. However it is recommended to use 2 different databases.

That is what I thought, but there are no alternate instructions for installing for the first time in case you are going to install later. And the instructions for Merge do not specifically state two databases.

So how do I uninstall and then unlock the install folder to install with two databases?