MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New Reply Notification Broken
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone,

Yesterday a user reported a slight bug, that the "from" field in new reply notification emails sent from my board do not show my board name, but rather ""<>.

Upon doing some research, I found this related thread (it doesn't have an answer that solves my problem, but may work as a starting point):

Here's what I know:
  • Only new topic reply notifications are affected (PM notifications are unaffected, for example).
  • The problem is solved when disabling all plugins via the General Configuration Setting, but not when manually disabling and uninstalling all plugins via the Plugin Page in the ACP.
  • I have already looked into Google SEO being the problem, although the developer has assured me that isn't the problem (see the full discussion here).
  • I'm using HostGator Shared Hosting.

Note:
When I use the General Configuration disable option, I receive an error when making a reply to a "subscribed" thread. This is the error I receive:

Fatal error: Call to a member function run_hooks() on a non-object in /forum/inc/functions.php on line 238

Looking at the email source code, I found this to be odd (the top one is from the test with plugins disabled, the bottom sent normally):
http://screensnapr.com/v/xLKAwI.jpg

Here's a screenshot of the problem:
http://screensnapr.com/v/ZBuM8N.jpg

*Please note that the one where it is working fine was the test with plugins disabled via general config. Also note that email notifications remain completely unaffected.

At this point I am completely confused as to what may be the cause of the problem. Any help, advice, or tips are appreciated. I am more than happy to provide more information as requested.
To rule out plugins as a cause of this issue, please try the following:

If you are using MyBB v1.6.4 and newer:

Go to AdminCP >> Configuration >> General configuration >> Disable all plugins >> YES

For all other versions older than MyBB v1.6.4:

In ./inc/init.php, find the code:

define("TIME_NOW", time());

After this code, add this:

define("NO_PLUGINS", 1);

Then save and/or reupload this edited version of the file so the forum will run the new code.

This will stop plugins being run when a page on the forum is loaded; it will not edit, delete or reset any content the plugin has added or changed, it will just temporarily stop the plugins being loaded, so some features on your forum may be temporarily missing or broken whilst this code is in place. When you remove this code, plugins will work again exactly as they were before. This change helps us to see if a plugin is the cause of a problem, without you having to manually deactivate every single plugin, which would mean you may lose data from them.

If your issue is fixed when this code is added, then the cause of your issue is a plugin; please post a list of your plugins and we will try and help you find which one it may be. If the problem still happens with this code added, then it is unlikely a plugin is the cause, in which case we will investigate the issue further.

Thank you.
Thanks for the quick response.

As I outlined above, I have already completed that step. Please find my results below:

Quote:The problem is solved when disabling all plugins via the General Configuration Setting, but not when manually disabling and uninstalling all plugins via the Plugin Page in the ACP.

Quote:When I use the General Configuration disable option, I receive an error when making a reply to a "subscribed" thread. This is the error I receive:

Fatal error: Call to a member function run_hooks() on a non-object in /forum/inc/functions.php on line 238

Here is my list of installed plugins for future reference:
  • Admins can log into Users' accounts
  • Awards
  • Default Avatar
  • Forum Icons
  • Forum Runner
  • Google SEO
  • Gravatar
  • MyDirectory
  • Show the users that has been online today
  • Page Manager
  • PluginLibrary
  • Tapatalk

Just to point it out again, I have already discussed this issue in detail with the author of Google SEO. We have ruled out that plugin having anything to do with this. By all measures this does appears to be a MyBB problem.

Thanks again for any help you can provide.
Well, it would appear to be a plugin issue then.

Try making a subfolder in inc/plugins and one by one move each plugin file into it. After moving each file see if it works. If after you move a file into it it works, that plugin is the problem.

A rather unorthodox way of doing things but it should work.