MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Some Suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Now that I've used MyBB for awhile, here are my most basic suggestions based on plugins I've felt I had to add and on code modifications I've made. Note, I'm not running the latest 1.x, so some of these might already have been added.

1. Welcome PM/Email. Sends a PM/Email to new users welcoming them to the forum.

2. Automatic Subscriptions. Allows you to automatically subscribe to all new threads and replies without having to manually subscribe to all forums and threads.

3. Board Messages. Allows administrators to one or more brief messages to the forum header.

4. Courtesy Edit Time. Allow a courtesy edit time, whereby the 'edited by' message won't show up for a set amount of time.

5. Email about new members. Sends an email to an Admin if a registration was made

6. Fit picture on Page. Resizes embedded images in posts to fit the page and not run over.

7. Page Manager. Allows you to add and manage additional pages.

8. Sig Height Limit. Set maximum height for users signature block. Frankly, I'm not sure how this would work out if images are inserted into sig. But too-large sigs can be a big problem

9. No Proxy Please. Deny any proxy from accessing your site.

10. Registration Security Question. I think this might already have been added.

11. Stop forum spam. I think this might have already been added. But it would be nice to control the parameters. For example, setting a threshold for blocking someone. What I mean is allowing people in who only have X number of complaints.

12. Minimum posts required for troublesome things a person could do, like having a sig, polls, pictures, etc.

13. Theme selector drop down on bottom of forum so users can easily change themes.

14. Email to admin about deleted member. Send email to admin with information about a deleted member, including name, email, last IP, and registration IP.

15. The CSS tag that controls text in the body of the message should not be the same as the CSS tag that controls text on the forum index page or other navigation pages. I realize the user can add this, but it should come that way. And the reason is that message text is usually black, while navigation text usually reflects the color scheme of the theme.

16. It would be great if the message date information was up near the top of the postbit, so users don't have to scroll way down long messages just to check the date.

One other note. One of the great things about the current MyBB theme is it's very readable. It does not sacrifice readability in an effort to look "kewl." It doesn't use tiny fonts, tiny windows, and barely visible font colors. I realize you have to stay current, but please retain readability in version 2.
I don't see why those plugins mentioned shouldn't stay plugins, though it would be cool if they were added.
(2012-03-12, 08:04 PM)lucasbytegenius Wrote: [ -> ]I don't see why those plugins mentioned shouldn't stay plugins, though it would be cool if they were added.

Hmmm. I guess now that I look at it, some might be more suitable as plugins. The only reason I included Board Messages, is because mybb.com uses Board Messages. So I figured it would be good to have it built in. I guess page manager could be a plugin. I added that to compete with xenforo. But I guess that's not a basic forum function, and most people would not use it. Even though I do. I use it to create a form to contact the admin. I guess email to admin about deleted member is something almost nobody (but me) would use.

But I do think spammer protection should be included without plugins. It's a common issue. I think welcome information for new members and notices about new registrations are so routine they should be provided. And basic formatting of messages should be provided, such as pictures in messages, and size of sig lines.
(2012-03-12, 10:34 PM)Andrew B. Wrote: [ -> ]The only reason I included Board Messages, is because mybb.com uses Board Messages.

That's not a plugin, it's just a simple template edit.
I think most of these would be very nice by default. Aside from the sig height limit, this can easily be achieved by adding height: ??px; overflow: auto; to the sig container. Though I suppose a global option might be a better method. xp
Courtesy edit time was added in 1.6 IIRC.
1. Agree. Nice functionality in it.
2. Needs disable option though. I hate boards with autosubscription.
3. I guess it would be kind of nice.
4. Said above.
5. Optional, but could be handy in antispam.
6. Fully agree.
7. Plugin.
8. Would be handy to have.
9. Disagree or it should be optional. There are many chances of blocking innocent users.
10. Fully agree. Will stop some of the newbie antispam threads, and will be more handy as core.
11. Optional. When you have something like SFS which is community-given data, there is a high risk of false reports or FPs.
12. I like the concept.
13. Agree, agree, agree. A trip to the UCP shouldn't be necessary to merely change themes.
14. That would be sometimes convenient, other times annoying. It would help to catch bad/evil co-admins.
15. Meh...
16. What? Isn't it at the too already?