MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Private Forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I am new to using MyBB (I must say that I love it), and recently created my forum. I was wondering if it would be possible to make my entire forum private. By this, I mean that when you visit my forum, all you can see is the login page. In order to view the board, you must login to your approved account. Also, by default, I want all newly registered users to be placed into the "Awaiting Activation" group where an admin must verify them before they are placed into the "Members" group.

Thank you.
(2012-03-12, 11:42 PM)bigjzoo Wrote: [ -> ]Hello all,

I am new to using MyBB (I must say that I love it), and recently created my forum. I was wondering if it would be possible to make my entire forum private. By this, I mean that when you visit my forum, all you can see is the login page. In order to view the board, you must login to your approved account. Also, by default, I want all newly registered users to be placed into the "Awaiting Activation" group where an admin must verify them before they are placed into the "Members" group.

Thank you.

if you want admin verify post then you should use Required Approval (1.1) plugin. http://mods.mybb.com/view/required-approvals
To make a private forum, go to Admin CP > Users & Groups > Groups > Guests under the tab Forums and Posts, uncheck "Can view board?".

For approved accounts, go in Admin CP > Configuration > User Registration and Profile Options and change Registration Method to "Send Email Verification", though it should be there by default. If you want to manually approve accounts, change it to "Administrator Activation".
(2012-03-13, 12:11 AM)Xstrike Wrote: [ -> ]To make a private forum, go to Admin CP > Users & Groups > Groups > Guests under the tab Forums and Posts, uncheck "Can view board?".

For approved accounts, go in Admin CP > Configuration > User Registration and Profile Options and change Registration Method to "Send Email Verification", though it should be there by default. If you want to manually approve accounts, change it to "Administrator Activation".

That's what I was looking for. If I use that option, where is the tab to view members awaiting activation? Or do I need to manually move them?
You can change the settings in >General Settings> Registration.
So that members need to be manually activated by an administrator/staff.

As for the whole forums private, you can change the usergroup (guest) so that the person is unable to view the forums, unless registered or signed in.
(2012-03-13, 12:23 AM)bigjzoo Wrote: [ -> ]That's what I was looking for. If I use that option, where is the tab to view members awaiting activation? Or do I need to manually move them?

There's a Awaiting Activation link on your dashboard that will search and show all users awaiting activation, and from there you can choose to activate a user or not.
Why don't you just set your board settings to require login for any users to view ?? Thats what I do, member or not you must login before viewing my website. Theres a setting to do this under settings in the configuration section Toungue