MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Primary, Secondary Group?!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I've installed myBB 1.7 a few days ago and I think I know how to "manage" it - mainly ;-)

1) Why secondary groups?
But one this is still a huge questionmark above my head: What are secondary groups good for? I mean, why is a set of groups (multiple choice) called "secondary"? A user is a member of one or more groups - period.

2) I added a group (Admins Friends) for a hidden forum just for an inner circle. I tried to create a user and add him to "Admin Friends" as primary group. It didnt work.

You see I have not understood yet how this prim and secnd groups work... *sigh*

I haven't found any documentation. Please help.

Besides this detail: myBB is great!
Well, from what I understand, a member can only have one primary group, but can have several secondary groups. So if you have different access levels with each group and want a member to have the access, they can go into UserCP and select which of their groups they want to display. I personally haven't had to use it, as all my members have just one group.

As far as not being able to add someone to your created group, Admin Friends, I can't imagine why you can't make it their primary group. How are you doing it? When you add them to a group, you are using the drop down menu to select the primary group, right? I know I made the mistake of checking the box, without paying attention that was a secondary group!
Masa Wrote:Hello,

I've installed myBB 1.7 a few days ago and I think I know how to "manage" it - mainly ;-)

1) Why secondary groups?
But one this is still a huge questionmark above my head: What are secondary groups good for? I mean, why is a set of groups (multiple choice) called "secondary"? A user is a member of one or more groups - period.
With a secondary group, you can limit/grant access to fourms. . . Many other stuff, but that is what I mainly use them for.
For more info about usergroups and how they work: [Wiki: Usergroups] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)
Masa Wrote:2) I added a group (Admins Friends) for a hidden forum just for an inner circle. I tried to create a user and add him to "Admin Friends" as primary group. It didnt work.

You see I have not understood yet how this prim and secnd groups work... *sigh*
What are the exact steps you did? All you have to do is change the users primary usergroup to 'Admins Friends'. You also could make it a secondary groups but checking the box next to 'Admins Friends'.
Masa Wrote:I haven't found any documentation. Please help.

Besides this detail: myBB is great!
See the Wiki. [Wiki: ] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)