MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Hundreds of Guest just read a topic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I had a problem with mybb forum.
Some day ago, my forum had hundreds of guest visited, but all of them have just read a topic in the same time.
So the Error 500 appeared because I'm using shared hosting and the max connections to the database is 50.
The guests had diffirence IPs.
Ordinary, the max guest and member is only 20 - 30 because my forum is small.
I think someone is attacking my forum.
How should I do to solve this problem?
i suggest,make changes that Only Members can view the forums.
Yeah that'd be an attack, a ddos by the looks of it.
You can't fight a DDOS attack on shared hosting.
You can stop attacks maybe by banning particular country Ips.
You can contact your host about it if you use shared.
(2012-04-13, 11:59 AM)Mr.Kewl Wrote: [ -> ]You can't fight a DDOS attack on shared hosting.

Cloudflare.

@Yoshi Oak - IMO restricting guests is not smart. If you cut them off from all content, then he guests may just leave the community. I know a few people from the /me thread who do the same as me (leave).
(2012-04-13, 11:12 PM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-04-13, 11:59 AM)Mr.Kewl Wrote: [ -> ]You can't fight a DDOS attack on shared hosting.

Cloudflare.

Strong Ddos attack can take site with cloudfare down too.

(2012-04-13, 11:12 PM)Josh H. Wrote: [ -> ]

Cloudflare.

Strong Ddos attack can take site with cloudfare down too.
In order for you to take down a site with Cloudflare you have to take down Cloudlflare pretty much.
Cloudflare will stop protecting you if the attack gets too big. But I read that CF is coming out with "I'm under attack" mode, which may help with stopping DDOS's even better.
(2012-04-14, 02:30 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]In order for you to take down a site with Cloudflare you have to take down Cloudlflare pretty much.

Not really, if the DDoS attack gets too large (many GBs per second or more) then there's a really strong possibility it will end up going direct.

You may wonder how can you tell whose site is under attack.
They break the attack down to domain level internally to see where the attack is happening.
Pages: 1 2