MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Upgrade to MySQL 5.5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I use cPanel and I was thinking about to upgrade to MySQL 5.5 . I have some questions though.

1. Is it a stable version one can say? Would it do good? How many of you are running on it?

2. InnoDB db type on sessions and other tables would only work on 5.5 or will work on version before 5.5 as well?

Thank you.
(2012-03-20, 09:56 AM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]Is it a stable version one can say? Would it do good? How many of you are running on it?

Most certainly so. I use it on all my servers. None of which run MyBB, but performance wise it's a hell of a lot better than previous versions.

(2012-03-20, 09:56 AM)crazy4cs Wrote: [ -> ]InnoDB db type on sessions and other tables would only work on 5.5 or will work on version before 5.5 as well?

The InnoDB engine has been available in MySQL for at least the last half decade. The only difference is that it's the default table engine in 5.5.

Bare in mind you should choose carefully which tables to convert to InnoDB. Start off with the tables which lock up the most. mybb_sessions/mybb_posts are probably two of them.

Sure, I would be certainly converting only sessions for now. Would posts be a good to be done as well?

And I actually contacted my host and they say 5.5 isn't much stable and also I see major hosts uses 5.1 still. However I run VPS so I can do whatever I want but they advice if most, I should go for 5.3 .

What do you think?
I use MySQL 5.5.20 myself and it's perfectly stable for me. I don't use InnoDB at the minute (I simply don' need to for now) though.
I have used MySQL 5.5 for over a year with no issues. I don't use innodb as it uses too much RAM for my tiny VPSs. For the sessions table, I use memory (or heap) tables as the sessions don't really need to be saved across mysql restarts.
Forgot to update. I've upgraded the same day. Just converted sessions table to innodb, rest all other tables were intact.
Yeah, MySQL 5.5 is amazing blast more than 100% faster and low resources.
I convert it to innodB except sessions table Smile
my host also say 5.5 its not stable but i think its to much work from they to update it
(2012-04-02, 09:51 AM)lexy Wrote: [ -> ]my host also say 5.5 its not stable but i think its to much work from they to update it
If you're on shared, there is no option for you but to follow them because they have to see if MySQL 5.5 functions well for their other clients too.

But if you're on VPS or your own dedicated server, then its good.