MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: DMCA Help Need
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can anyone here explain me a bit about DMCA and because I own a mybb forum so I cannot really check every user posts if its copyrighted or not.

So how can I prevent my self from getting in trouble with DMCA HuhHuhHuhHuh
(2012-03-24, 05:48 AM)Amplifier Wrote: [ -> ]Can anyone here explain me a bit about DMCA and because I own a mybb forum so I cannot really check every user posts if its copyrighted or not.

So how can I prevent my self from getting in trouble with DMCA HuhHuhHuhHuh

If someone contact you that their work is copied in a post in your forum, then delete it.
Well they have to put in a formal request for the content to be removed. In which case you'll know what to remove. The best option though is a good staff and respectable members to help out with reporting illegal posts.
Set rules. Enforce rules. If the rules are broken, warn the members. If that doesn't work, ban the members. If they do not comply with the rules you set they shouldn't be allowed to participate in your community.
(2012-03-24, 06:42 AM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Set rules. Enforce rules. If the rules are broken, warn the members. If that doesn't work, ban the members. If they do not comply with the rules you set they shouldn't be allowed to participate in your community.

yeah I know actually just today a guy contacted me about a copied content he said he is going to file a DMCA but somehow I managed to make him understand that its not my fault and I deleted that thread.

This time he contacted me but I cannot be sure everytime the person will contact me so I wanted to know can I do something to prevent me from getting into the the trouble of DMCA. Any notice or anysuch thing on the forum so that it should not look as my fault. Sleepy
Unless you have a douchbag host they will contact you before , plus if they're smart and see you have a forum they already know it's not your fault per sé.
Also, with a DMCA you should always try to solve it with the site owner first, if that doesn't work.
DMCA gives you 48 hours to appeal or remove the content, it's best to always remove though. A good way is to add a link to your forum with the text "DMCA" and your e-mail so you get notified before your host.
Most hosts will ignore DMCA notices if you have not contacted the site owner first. If not, then your host will likely just forward you the notice. Easier for you to deal with than them Smile
thanks everyone for the help.
If someone reports it to you or your hosting provider, remove it ASAP. Warn the user and if they do it again, ban them.
Pages: 1 2