MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Please, white screen problem, other threads did not help me. Can you?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Greetings everyone-

I am trying very hard to become a member of this community but I am having difficulties installing and I'm hoping someone can help me. Forgive any tinges of frustration you may detect in my post-they are not directed at you.
Big Grin
I am hosting with GoDaddy, and have not been able to complete the installation process. Everything seems to be set up correctly as I get "All tables have been created, click Next to populate them" but then the infamous "white screen of death" appears after clicking next.

My hosting is the Economy plan w/ ASP/Windows. It states specifically in their comparison chart that they support forums.

I contacted GoDaddy, and they said they were not aware of any problems (and I think were investigating it further.)

Can anyone help me please? I really would appreciate it.

Thanks and best wishes,
Kristen
Its been mentioned before that GoDaddy isn't the best host for php ever :\ Especially if your on an ASP/Windows configuration.

If you look in your database, do you see if any tables were created?
Tikitiki Wrote:Its been mentioned before that GoDaddy isn't the best host for php ever :\ Especially if your on an ASP/Windows configuration.

Hi Tikitiki-

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. I am very new at this, but I will try to answer you to the best of my abilities. I appreciate your patience with me.

The installation said the tables were created. When I check the MySQL database on GoDaddy's end, I can only see the login/hosting information. I honestly don't know how to access the actual database, but I will call them to find out.

One thing I noticed was that there is an option to "create DSN" but I don't know what this means.

I know other people have said they have problems with them, but I wanted to try to find a workaround (if there is one) or maybe find out why. They didn't seem to know why there would be a problem. I am trying to be loyal, but if I have to switch, then obviously I will have no choice.

Thank you again very much for your assistance. I will try to find that information and will get right back to you.

Thanks again and best wishes,
Kristen
I talked to GoDaddy again, and they said the problem is probably being on Windows versus Linux. So they are presently switching me, which may take up to 24 hours. I will also have to wait for that time to see if I can access the database or not also.

Thank you again so much for your help.

Best wishes,
Kristen
Yes, switching from Windows to Linux is what I was going to suggest, which is exactly what I did when I had to create a php/mysql database. I didn't figure that you can use php on an asp system. I'm also with Godaddy and didn't have any problem installing and running this software! Good luck getting everything set up once you're switched over! Big Grin
judel Wrote:Yes, switching from Windows to Linux is what I was going to suggest, which is exactly what I did when I had to create a php/mysql database.  I didn't figure that you can use php on an asp system.  I'm also with Godaddy and didn't have any problem installing and running this software!  Good luck getting everything set up once you're switched over!  Big Grin

Thank you very much for the well-wishes. I'm hoping this fixes it. I like GoDaddy.
Smile
Best wishes,
Kristen
Tikitiki Wrote:Its been mentioned before that GoDaddy isn't the best host for php ever :\ Especially if your on an ASP/Windows configuration.

Omigosh - I can't believe it's working. I switched the operating system and had to turn off the Gzip thing, but ~WOW~. You can't believe how ecstatic I am. (~doing hula~)

Thanks everyone for your help. It's greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,
Kristen
Not a problem zanzaboonda. Its not nessaserily that we're not compatible with windows servers, its just which type of server software they use on their windows server. For Instance. I run Windows on my laptop, and using a client side server software (xampp), I am able to run a localhost dev copy of MyBB with no problems what so ever.

However - Most hosts use Linux, because 1) Its open source and (i think) free 2) Its much more compatible with php & mysql
Linux *is* free, however some distributions does take money for them, which is wrong I think since it's open source.
CraKteR Wrote:Linux *is* free, however some distributions does take money for them, which is wrong I think since it's open source.

They probably consider it donations
Pages: 1 2