MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Showcase too much rejection
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2012-03-30, 05:14 AM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think the current bump system is bad. Let's not forget the showcase forum is for getting opinion about our forum and not a forum advertising one. I'm sure you will get plenty of opinions within few days.

Yes it is for advertising.

Shameless promotion for your copy of MyBB here! You can also show off your own website as long as it is running MyBB.

You are advertising by promoting. My showcase thread is a perfect example of what should be allowed, a bump to tell others about updates, new features ect. 1 or 2 weeks between bumps is good.
(2012-03-30, 05:03 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-03-30, 03:19 PM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]If everyone have power to bump more times, then everyone will do so. In that case, the topic will move to next page however.

Paul's suggestion would be the best solution. Showcase topics should be Staff approved before appearing. It will reduce the issue a lot.

How would one bump every 30 days result in your board still moving to the next page constantly? At least it would be relevant again for a period of time, then the next 30 days you do the same thing. It's a much better system than the current one, I don't see how you can deny that.

I agree, showcase threads should have to be approved. If the moderators are active enough then sure.

Consider you bump your topic on 8.00 AM, and 10 other people bump their topic after you, then still your forum will move to next page. You will have to wait a month to bump it again.

(2012-03-30, 11:19 PM)Solidus Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-03-30, 05:14 AM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think the current bump system is bad. Let's not forget the showcase forum is for getting opinion about our forum and not a forum advertising one. I'm sure you will get plenty of opinions within few days.

Shameless promotion for your copy of MyBB here! You can also show off your own website as long as it is running MyBB.

You are advertising by promoting. My showcase thread is a perfect example of what should be allowed, a bump to tell others about updates, new features ect. 1 or 2 weeks between bumps is good.

Alright, then. Though i find it weird. Why does a support community provide a place to promote people's site? Its not a webmaster forum or something.
(2012-03-31, 10:31 AM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]Consider you bump your topic on 8.00 AM, and 10 other people bump their topic after you, then still your forum will move to next page. You will have to wait a month to bump it again.

That's not the point, it will be on the first page for another period of time for potential replies rather than being stuck on page 8 without being able to do anything about it.
(2012-03-31, 02:56 PM)Anxiety Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-03-31, 10:31 AM)kavin Wrote: [ -> ]Consider you bump your topic on 8.00 AM, and 10 other people bump their topic after you, then still your forum will move to next page. You will have to wait a month to bump it again.

That's not the point, it will be on the first page for another period of time for potential replies rather than being stuck on page 8 without being able to do anything about it.

Nope. Currently the showcase topic moves to 8th page as so many people post after that. How does it change if you have more bumps? It will still move to 8th page if so much people post after that or bump their old topics.
You still don't get the point and I don't want to take over this thread constantly trying to project it I'm afraid.

Anyway, can we have some opinions from management or community team about this? Is there a chance this system (or one similar) can be implemented or are we wasting our time?
I thought the purpose of the bump limit was so that people interested in a forum could keep the thread afloat; not the author bumping it every time they change a forum description.

Mind you, I haven't actually visited the showcase forum in over a year (willfully anyways), so what do I know?
(2012-03-30, 11:19 PM)Solidus Wrote: [ -> ]

And you can also tell people not to give feedback, and even tell them not to post in your thread. It's absolutely a dedicated advertising forum.

Knowing that I can only bump 3 times in a row, and 5 times total, I'm so fearful of wasting bumps and/or getting my thread closed by a mod that I've simply let it fade away, hoping that someone notices the link to it in my signature. It's really disappointing to see so many threads get comments but your own get ignored, and then have to worry about being scolded to keep it afloat. If I could give it a free bump every now and again, it would be much better.
(2012-04-25, 01:17 AM)cappazushi Wrote: [ -> ]Knowing that I can only bump 3 times in a row, and 5 times total, I'm so fearful of wasting bumps and/or getting my thread closed by a mod that I've simply let it fade away, hoping that someone notices the link to it in my signature. It's really disappointing to see so many threads get comments but your own get ignored, and then have to worry about being scolded to keep it afloat. If I could give it a free bump every now and again, it would be much better.
This.
An authority figure needs to actually read this thread and make a decision.
Pages: 1 2 3