MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Customized Post fields?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

this is the fresh baby admin. Please share your experience. I have two questions:

I) Is it possible to create a customized "post a new thread" dialog (I am relating to the fields)? If yes, how complicated is it. Is it "just" editing the source code? (I saw that you can edit the code of each dialog, and yes, I know I have to use the given internal field names for the database!)

II) Can I add an "expire date" for a posting?

Here is what I want to do: I want to open a forum just for events. The information that is needed is:
  • Date
  • Time
  • Where
  • Topic, Subject
  • Comments

Each should be a field that the user can fill in. one day after [date] the posting should be deleted automatically.

Sooo axious to see your answeres! :o)
MaSa
There is no built-in feature to make a post expire at a certain date, i.e. not allowing users to post from that date onwards. You could, however, just lock the topic at that date. No-one except for administrators and moderators will be able to post in the topic anymore when it is locked.

You can customize the dialog as much as you want, as long as you keep the form fields intact. MyBB needs the form fields to send the post data to the server. However, the cosmetics and layout of the form fields can be completely changed if you wish. You can do this by changing the appropriate templates through the admin control panel.
Peter Wrote:You can customize the dialog as much as you want, as long as you keep the form fields intact. MyBB needs the form fields to send the post data to the server. However, the cosmetics and layout of the form fields can be completely changed if you wish. You can do this by changing the appropriate templates through the admin control panel.

Ok,.. hrmmm. Since I need more fields than given by default, I doubt I can make it.

Given: Subject + Message
Needed: Date (could be "subject") + Time + Where + Topic + Comments (could be "Message").

I dont see a solution to add Time, Where and Topic.
That would require extensive modification of MyBB itself, which you could request in the code modifications forum. However, you could just ask your members to post all those things in their message.
Peter Wrote:There is no built-in feature to make a post expire at a certain date, i.e. not allowing users to post from that date onwards. You could, however, just lock the topic at that date. No-one except for administrators and moderators will be able to post in the topic anymore when it is locked.

Well, it was ok if you just don't want the people to discusst after that event (there could be nice discussions on the past event).

But: I want to create a forum, read only, where admins and users annouce events. AND: I want the board to clean up itself ;-)