MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: April Fools Pranks on Your Community
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Nothing interesting on mine, just a CSS tweak to mirror everything except what's in .tborder boxes.
I'd have pulled one, except my sites are down (and that's no joke)!
FreeVPS.us was started April 1, 2010, so the whole site is an April Fools joke.
I have a question.  Many years ago I was sent a link that had some sort of a story behind it and when I clicked on it nothing happened so I just figured the link was broke or something was just wrong with my computer.

When I closed out the page I found that my wallpaper or background on my desktop had been changed to a funny photo and it remained there, so I had to go into my computer settings to change my desktop wallpaper back to what i wanted.  My question is this,  does anyone know how to create that prank or know of a site where I can copy that type of a link that changes your background when it is clicked on ?  It's a fun thing to send out to your friends.
(2021-02-05, 09:54 PM)Dan932 Wrote: [ -> ]I have a question.  Many years ago I was sent a link that had some sort of a story behind it and when I clicked on it nothing happened so I just figured the link was broke or something was just wrong with my computer.

When I closed out the page I found that my wallpaper or background on my desktop had been changed to a funny photo and it remained there, so I had to go into my computer settings to change my desktop wallpaper back to what i wanted.  My question is this,  does anyone know how to create that prank or know of a site where I can copy that type of a link that changes your background when it is clicked on ?  It's a fun thing to send out to your friends.

I'd classify that as malware.  No help here mate.
I should have included in my post that the link was sent to me by my nephew who was in college and I in turn kept the link for a while and sent it to others but eventually I inadvertently deleted it. I had intended to keep it.
I have played pranks on my forum in the past, and I have only had more leeway to do so since I moved off of free hosting to my own.

One year back in 2005 or 2006, I changed the skin on my forum to be the very first one I did on PB.. the prank was a little too successful because I am pretty laid back, but serious as an admin, and so, my members thought that someone had gotten into my ACP, rather than me pulling a prank.

This theme wasn't that bad, but it basically committed every sin there was in skinning/theming at the time, I had music on the index page, animated gifs everywhere, and no shortage of bold, bright colors.. and this was way before I discovered Photoshop. I saved the html of that layout from when I was on PB..

One year, I used the same skin a moderator on IF used to prove a point about how bad animated gifs are when you use them on a theme. they did this by using the same awful pink and green animated gif everywhere on the forum.

That was on the forum I co-owned with my brother, and it was also the shortest lived prank because it triggered a migraine in me, so I had to take it off. Aside from that, our members thought it was hilarious though.

And then there was the year I decided to move to paid hosting, (which many of my members already thought was a prank,) when I embedded a perfect loop of "Never Gonna Give You Up" and had that with my first skin.. on the day I reopened.

I saw an opportunity, and I took it.

Normally, I wouldn't have added the skin, but apparently a few of my members remembered it from the prank I pulled a few years ago, and asked me to bring it back.. so now, I have that theme converted for this software where some of my oldest users can use it for nostalgic reasons.. (their words, not mine..)

Aside from those two times and a few I pulled on my brother's old forum back in the day, I haven't really pulled many pranks lately, I've just been too busy and activity isn't what it used to be.. and also being that I am the only admin, it would be pretty obvious as to who did it, and not as fun when the members know it was me..
Pages: 1 2