MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: View New Threads Inconsistent
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Having some inconsistencies and issues with the View New Threads function, detailed below. Current installation information:

URL: http://forum.step-project.com
VERSION: Upgraded to 1.6.6 (Started board on version 1.6.5).
PHP VERSION: 5.3.10
MYSQL VERSION: 5.1.61

When clicking on the View New Threads link, often times we are not getting the full list of new posts that are available. In some cases, no new posts are returned, even though the main forum display shows that new posts exist. When drilling down into the forums, the threads that contain new posts are marked appropriately.

The other issue is that after viewing all new posts in all forums, the home page for the top level forum display is still showing that new posts exist, and this only occurs when forums have sub-forums. At this point the two ways to fix the read state is to either navigate into each forum manually so it gets corrected, or to go to the main index page and click on the "mark all forums read" link. The latter runs the risk of marking a new post as read if someone creates a new thread/post before clicking the "mark all forums read" link.
If posts are unread for any forum, it would already show as unread till you read them or mark them as read.

The function View New Posts functions with certain time limit like fetch posts posted from past 24-48 hours or so.
Thanks for the reply. The time limit explains what I'm seeing when trying to view new posts, and it seems like it might be around 24 hours.

As to the first item, the issue I'm experiencing is that after all posts are read in the sub-forums, the parent forum is still showing that posts are unread. I have to then click on that top level forum in order for it to resolve its status as read. This leads to a false sense of unread posts when there aren't any, and it's a bit tedious to have to manually click on every parent forum to get it to resolve the correct state.
I'm having the same problems with the parent forum indicating that there are unread posts that were already read. I've had this same issue since I started my forum with version 1.6.5 and I'm now using 1.6.7.