MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Thumbs up/Thumbs down
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
While MyBB has a rep system, I think that posts should include a rep system to - if you can rate a topic, why not individual posts?

I know there are thank/like plugins, but I think this should be something as default in a forum. Since facebook introduced the measures it has been used so much that it is easily now considered a core function.

In the old days before I had the plugin to handle thanking, we used to have users quoting a post without writing anything new - which is incredibly irritating and a massive waste of space.
We called it empty quoting.

I think this would be a great feature that many would find useful. I've not been on a forum that doesn't have this feature being used that has more than 1,000 members.
You see this button under your post? [Image: postbit_reputation.gif]

There ya go Toungue
(2012-04-05, 01:57 PM)tsrdazz Wrote: [ -> ]While MyBB has a rep system

(2012-04-05, 02:04 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]You see this button under your post? [Image: postbit_reputation.gif]

There ya go Toungue
(2012-04-05, 02:04 PM)Paul H. Wrote: [ -> ]You see this button under your post? [Image: postbit_reputation.gif]

There ya go Toungue

Not even close to the same thing. More like Tomm M's Post Rep plugin (which I am using wonderfully here: http://harajuju.net/Forum-HA%C2%B7RA%C2%B7LOOKS)
It sounds very "YouTube-ish"..

What do you mean by "thumbs up a post and thumbs down a post"? As an administrator I'd really dislike people thumbing down my posts...

Imagine "MyBB announcing 2.0 very soon" {45 thumbs up, 19304 thumbs down (bots)}...
(2012-04-05, 06:13 PM)TheGarfield Wrote: [ -> ]It sounds very "YouTube-ish"..

What do you mean by "thumbs up a post and thumbs down a post"? As an administrator I'd really dislike people thumbing down my posts...

Imagine "MyBB announcing 2.0 very soon" {45 thumbs up, 19304 thumbs down (bots)}...

Would that not be a risk of everything on the forum though? That's like being concerned about opening a forum in case bots post on it...

But yeah, I mean like Youtube's system.
Forums shouldn't have negative rep or in this case "thumbs down" allowed, unless it's a marketplace forum of some sort, it's a useless feature destined for abuse and flame-wars.

I'm actually for a more effective, appealing and more modern post-appreciation feature, but you'll get the same argument in reply which results in users going around in circles.
Well then just a simple "thank" button would be suffice - positives only. Or perhaps an option to include negative ratings on posts.
My reasoning was because you can give negative rep on a forum anyway.

(btw, off topic - how do I get rated a "big board owner"? My forum has about 17,000 memebers...)
I've added you to the "Big Board Owner" group. Smile
He doesn't look added to me Undecided
Pages: 1 2