MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Move from windows host to Linux host
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I made the mistake of choosing Windows for a host, I want to move to Linux (don't ask, it was stupid). We configured our system, I want to move it without starting over. Only have test users, so user accounts aren't an issue, but I don't want to have to redo every setting.

Can I full export the system, then import it with all my settings? Is there a simple way to do this? Excuse me, I'll take reliable over simple.
Thanks
1. Go in your adminCP and set the board as offline.
2. Make a database backup.
3. Move all the files from your webhost to the new webhost
4. Create a database on your new webhost and import the one you backed up in step 2.
5. Change the domain to point to the new server
6. Go to adminCP again and set the board back as online.
Is the import function through phpmyadmin? I don't see an import through MyBB.
Yes it's through phpMyAdmin.
Ok, I'd like clarity here. If I backup the database, I don't have a way to import it. Looking at phpmyadmin, it doesn't appear to recognize the backup format to import it back to the system. So, can we try this again? Correct way to export/import?
You can import using Big Dump:
http://www.ozerov.de/bigdump/

Just edit in the database credentials, and have the .SQL in the same folder.
Then access the .php page, and import it.
(2012-04-12, 03:13 AM)jferristx Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, I'd like clarity here. If I backup the database, I don't have a way to import it. Looking at phpmyadmin, it doesn't appear to recognize the backup format to import it back to the system. So, can we try this again? Correct way to export/import?

If you're familiar with linux commands, you could import it using:
mysql -u username -p -h localhost DATA-BASE-NAME < data.sql

But you first have to create the database and give privileges over it to the user you want to use(usually the same you used in your ex forum). If you want to change the password/username, make sure you also change them in the inc/config.php file.
What about format? phpmyadmin has a huge list of formats for import/export. Is there a best practices preference?