MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Domain too long?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm trying to find a good domain for a new forum that I will start soon. But, no ideas. So I thought about this: themecommunity.com (theme is the subject of the forum, is just an example)

The problem is, if I use community the domain will end with 17 characters + .com

Is this a domain too long? I always try to find the shorter possible, that's why I'm asking this. I've never used a domain this long.
17 characters? Yes, too long IMHO. I would try to stay with 5-11 chars as long as its possible.
I definitely agree with crazy4cs. You don't want too long a domain name as it can become hard for your members to remember - something you certainly don't want.
Also, for example if they didn't have URL saved or remembered, making them type 17 chars is certainly what you don't want. Personally, I would get bored and angry.
Exactly what I thought. Thank you guys.
Disagree with above. Long domains are fine if they're keyword friendly. Themecommunity.com would be a good domain. As long as it's not like themecommunityformybbthemes.com etc.
Have to slightly disagree with you here Anxiety. They are good if they're keyword friendly, but not certainly one would look for.

For example, if discopasses.com is available and getfreediscopasses has a little more hits, then also I won't got with getfree one.

Its always good to have short domain name as long as possible. Even Google and big gurus advice it.
I would like to include the main subject in the domain for obvious reasons, but it has 8 characters and the domains like themeforums/themeforum are already taken, so the only solution that I found was themecommunity.com (17 characters).

I can choose other domains, but they won't have the main subject in the domain. Only relative words. In this case, it's a forum about an anime, and in this anime there's a power that it's very powerful, so it would be powerforums.com (10 characters), but meh... I really want to include the name of the anime in the domain.
Can't you use discusstheme.com or something?
It doesn't look good. Maybe themetalk.com...

But well, thank you anyway. I have time to decide, I don't need to choose it in a rush. Smile
Pages: 1 2