MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: First help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi,

I have just downloaded the software and was able to extract the contents from the RAR file, but I simply don't have any idea where to start? Any help would be much appreciated as I am totally lost!!!

Thank you.
1. Upload them to your server
2. Run the install by going to yourdirectory/install
3. Need more help? Read [Wiki: Installing] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)
xiaozhu Wrote:1. Upload them to your server
2. Run the install by going to yourdirectory/install
3. Need more help? Read [Wiki: Installing] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)

Dear Xiaozhu,

Thank you for your reply.
Was that all you needed, Acer? Or are you totally unfamiliar with FTP and SQL databases? Though I had dealt plenty with FTP in the past, this was basically my first run in with a database. The install instructions are pretty good, though, so you shouldn't have too much trouble. Good luck!
judel Wrote:Was that all you needed, Acer?  Or are you totally unfamiliar with FTP and SQL databases?  Though I had dealt plenty with FTP in the past, this was basically my first run in with a database. The install instructions are pretty good, though, so you shouldn't have too much trouble.  Good luck!

Dear Judel,

Yes, I am totally unfamiliar with FTP and SQL Databases :O(
Having unzipped the file I downloaded from MyBB, I found a folder with the name mybb_117 on my desktop, inside this folder are two more folders: Documentation and Upload, and I really don't know where to start now!
You should first read whatever is in that Documentation folder! Should be step by step instructions. What's in the upload folder needs to be uploaded to your site via ftp. Just create a directory on your site (most of us use /forum...so it would be www.yoursite.com/forum) If you don't have ftp software, you should be able to use an IE browser. Just try typing ftp://[email protected]. It should ask for a password. Otherwise, you'll need to get an ftp software of some kind (search the internet or ask people here what's their favorite. I have used cuteftp in the past, which is pretty easy).

If none of this makes sense, then you really need to take a look at the wiki link that xiaozhu provided! That has links to just about everything you need to know!
judel Wrote:You should first read whatever is in that Documentation folder!  Should be step by step instructions.  What's in the upload folder needs to be uploaded to your site via ftp.  Just create a directory on your site (most of us use /forum...so it would be www.yoursite.com/forum)  If you don't have ftp software, you should be able to use an IE browser.  Just try typing ftp://[email protected].  It should ask for a password.  Otherwise, you'll need to get an ftp software of some kind (search the internet or ask people here what's their favorite.  I have used cuteftp in the past, which is pretty easy).

If none of this makes sense, then you really need to take a look at the wiki link that xiaozhu provided!  That has links to just about everything you need to know!

Hi Judel,

Thank you, I think I got it now!
Acer Wrote:
judel Wrote:You should first read whatever is in that Documentation folder!  Should be step by step instructions.  What's in the upload folder needs to be uploaded to your site via ftp.  Just create a directory on your site (most of us use /forum...so it would be www.yoursite.com/forum)  If you don't have ftp software, you should be able to use an IE browser.  Just try typing ftp://[email protected].  It should ask for a password.  Otherwise, you'll need to get an ftp software of some kind (search the internet or ask people here what's their favorite.  I have used cuteftp in the past, which is pretty easy).

If none of this makes sense, then you really need to take a look at the wiki link that xiaozhu provided!  That has links to just about everything you need to know!

Hi Judel,

Thank you, I think I got it now!

Judel,

Just a quick question, assuming I follow your instructions, by uploading the upload folder to my site, how to I start the installer?
Go to yourdomain.com/yourmybbfolder/install/
Acer Wrote:Judel,

Just a quick question, assuming I follow your instructions, by uploading the upload folder to my site, how to I start the installer?

Go to: http://yourdomian.com/mybb_directory/install/
Pages: 1 2 3 4