MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: printer with router
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
how to setup a printer with router ?
Well, which printer is it, and which router Smile
HP laser jet 1020, router d830r adsl 2+

I read that I also need additional router for that, some pseudo steps might be helpful,
You will need something to act as a print server. I use a NAS as my print server (Synology Diskstation DS110j).

Your router cannot act as a print server, and has no USB port, so you'll need something Smile
Yes so how do I configure it ? plug the printers usb port in the NAS ? and how to connect the NAS with router ? does it have a LAN cable which plugs in router , or NAS it self acts as a wire less router ? if so, then how to access it from other pcs ?
My NAS simply plugs into the router, and the printer directly into the rear of the NAS Smile the NAS acts as a print server for the printer Smile
What I am asking is, does NAS have a LAN cable connector, e.g. RJ45
Yes, it has a LAN and a USB. The NAS sits between the router and the printer. The good thing is, the NAS gives you an extra bit of storage space Smile
Many laser printers have a built in print server. If your printer has an Ethernet port in the back, it does. If not, I'd go the NAS route given that a NAS is good for backing things up, sharing between computers, etc.

If you already have multiple computers connected to a router, a la this:
[Wall]
 |
[Router]
| | | | |
A B C D E
Or this:
[Wall]
 |
[Modem]
 |
[Router]
| | | | |
A B C D E
Then you just plug in the printer/NAS like a normal PC (i.e. the printer could be E).

You might want to find out what the minimum and maximum address the router will give out with DHCP, and configure the printer/NAS with a static address outside of that range. Most routers I've had experience don't go above 192.168.x.200, and 254 is the max (255 is reserved, and above 255 is invalid. x is usually either 0 or 1, but could be anything) so if you had to guess then that would be a pretty safe one.

Giving it a static IP means you don't have to reconfigure every computer if the router goes out (due to a power failure, reset, etc.).

Networking is fun.
Pages: 1 2