MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: admin panel missing images/css
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I did a vanilla install of mybb and everything looks great, except the admin cp. Instead, it looks like this:

[Image: mybbadmin.png]

I don't see any errors in the apache log, all files load with status 200. I also checked file permissions. I am using Chrome browser. Any ideas what is happening to me here?

TIA
Are you sure you uploaded the language files to the correct directory? It looks like that is your problem.
Make sure your chmod settings are correct:

http://wiki.mybb.com/index.php/CHMOD_Files
I found it. I had done this per the install instructions:

./admin/backups/ >> 777
./inc/languages/english/*all files* >> 666
./inc/languages/english/admin/*all files* >> 666

The culprit was the 2nd instruction, changing everything to 666 also changed the "admin" folder to 666. I adjust that to 777 and all is well.

[edit] I realize now after reading it, this is for all files excluding folders. Maybe clarifying that in the install docs would be of use to others. say *all files excluding folders* or *all php files* or something to that effect.
You should put the inc/languages/english/admin folder at 755 or 775. 777 is very insecure, and should be avoided. Cache and uploads are the only folders that need 777 permissions.
I'm glad that you did it. Good luck. Smile
(2012-04-09, 03:25 PM)GamerVoid Wrote: [ -> ]You should put the inc/languages/english/admin folder at 755 or 775. 777 is very insecure, and should be avoided. Cache and uploads are the only folders that need 777 permissions.

Yes I did adjust them to 755, I just followed the install docs first to make sure things worked. Thanks. To be honest, 666 is just as bad, should be 644. It's a good thing I have no other users on this system.
(2012-04-09, 03:23 PM)mohrt Wrote: [ -> ]I found it. I had done this per the install instructions:

./admin/backups/ >> 777
./inc/languages/english/*all files* >> 666
./inc/languages/english/admin/*all files* >> 666

The culprit was the 2nd instruction, changing everything to 666 also changed the "admin" folder to 666. I adjust that to 777 and all is well.

[edit] I realize now after reading it, this is for all files excluding folders. Maybe clarifying that in the install docs would be of use to others. say *all files excluding folders* or *all php files* or something to that effect.

Saying 'all files excluding folders' is kinda like having a bowl of fruit and saying pick up all the apples excluding all the oranges; they're separate things, it already says specifically files. Saying that it did at one point say to exclude the folders, because they're not files, but I don't know when that was changed back. Saying 'all PHP files' will be more confusing for new users too as not all systems will clearly mark them as PHP files and people would ask where they are (happened before when we've said to look for 'the PHP files'). The docs explaining this have changed many times and unfortunately there's always people who don't understand it, there's only so much we can do; if we explain it too much we just get told we're patronising people, we can't win.

(2012-04-09, 03:29 PM)mohrt Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-04-09, 03:25 PM)GamerVoid Wrote: [ -> ]You should put the inc/languages/english/admin folder at 755 or 775. 777 is very insecure, and should be avoided. Cache and uploads are the only folders that need 777 permissions.

Yes I did adjust them to 755, I just followed the install docs first to make sure things worked. Thanks. To be honest, 666 is just as bad, should be 644. It's a good thing I have no other users on this system.

If you want to be able to edit language strings within the Admin CP they need to be 666 (or maybe 664 depending on your setup) so they can be written to. If they're set to 644 you most likely won't be able to edit them in the ACP, so you can change them back if you won't want that functionality.
I understand the issue. To me "files" means all files including folders, as it is called a "file system" after all. Maybe *.* instead of *all files* would help avoid the confusion.

I see how 666 is required for the web server user to change the files. I think I'll just change file ownership to the web server user and avoid 777 and 666 altogether. Thanks.