MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Smileys .png by theme
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!
Is there a way to replace the default MyBB smilies that have the extension .gif with some .png ones? I don't want to change them from Configuration->Smilies, neither edit the .png to .gif extension in FTP Client.

I'm asking because, if I want to release a dark theme, the smilies would have those white edges. Also, I don't want to force the theme user to change the .png to .gif in the FTP client.

Thanks!

Edit: Or to find a way to replace the {$smilies} from the smilieinsert template with the smilies itselves, rather than using the ones specified at Configuration->Smilies.
http://mods.mybb.com/view/mybb-smilies-as-png

I never tryed it but maybe it helps.
No, it's not possible. Smileys are entirely independant of the teme you use unfortunately.
It's sad to hear that...Well, I think there is a way. However, if I use that way, the smilies from Configuration->Smilies would be useless.
Anyway, what I was thinking about is this: After I replace all the smilies from images/(theme_directory)/smilies, I remove the {$smilies} line from the smilieinsert template and start adding the smilies from the smilies directory from the theme instead of that line.

Anyway, thank you for telling me, euantor. I'll mark this thread as problem solved.
You could do that I guess, but it would be annoying for people wishing to use your theme. What would be nice is if you could use a variable such as {$theme['imgdir']} while creating smilies so that smilies would be loaded from a smiley sub-directory within the theme.
Such a feature might be implemented in the future.
Indeed, that would be nice.
Edit: Nathan, in which version? 2.0, 1.8? (IF it will be implemented)
(2012-04-10, 05:31 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]Such a feature might be implemented in the future.

I really should check the dev site more often...