MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Broken new topic error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm really not sure where to go, I hope this is the right place.

Location of myBB copyright at the bottom of the page, just above the affiliates, and it links back to myBB twice.
Board URL http://www.sunwolves.com
New Install? Upgrade? New installation of myBB
Problematic URL / example http://sunwolves.com/showthread.php?tid=121
Test user account :
 Username: guest Password: guest
Error message: "The specified thread does not exist."

Description:

> 1. The problem
I have a user who can post everywhere around the forum, but one particular subforum is giving her trouble, when she tries to post there, she gets the error message listed above. I asked her to try it again and she did - she consistently has this problem with posting in this particular forum. She says that she submits her post and it takes her to the error she sees, and she isn't able to look at her topic.

> 2. Troubleshoot Permissions
But I've gone in with all the accounts and settings I could think of to try to figure this out. I've quadruple checked her user permissions, group permissions, forum permissions.

> 3. Troubleshoot HTML
I know she's posting HTML and I'm able to post the same exact HTML chunk with all the accounts I can think of.

> 4. Troubleshot the database
I know that the database is fine and dandy. Just for kicks, I went in to take a look and discovered that for each of her "broken" topics, they have a topic record - but they have no post record. That is, in the database, the topic exists, but not the first post. I believe this is what's causing this problem.

> 5. Can't seem to replicate - but she can
I've gone through everything I can possibly think of to replicate this error, and I can't. I've even tried accounts with the exact same groups as hers and couldn't replicate it. But she consistently has this problem in just this one forum. I really don't want to ask to borrow her account, it looks like bad management.

What's my next step to solve this problem? What other kinds of trouble shooting can I do?
Because I myself can't replicate it, I don't think that myBB will be able to either. I don't expect a magical one-button-press solution. What I'm really asking for is guidance, not necessarily an answer. What else can I do to help me figure this one out?

Here are the plugins that I have installed:

- Account Switcher 1.0
- Forum Affiliates Manager
- Ajax PM Notification
- Classic Author Column
- Fit on Page (2.3)
- Memberships in Profile 1.0
- My Achievements 1.8.1
- Newpoints 1.9.4
- Show the users that has been online today (2.0)
- Template Conditionals (1.5)
- ProStats /proʊˈstæts/ (1.9.4)
- Spoiler BBCode (1.6)
- Thread description (mybb-es) (1.3)
- View Unanswered Posts (1.3)
- Your Side Bar (0.1)

I have a ton of other plugins that aren't installed but are uploaded.

TL;DR
A particular user in a particular subforum consistently gets an error when they to create a new topic - the error occurs because, in the database, the new topic is created, but the first post for that topic does not seem to be created and does not exist in the database.

The user sent me a screenshot of the error: she used an apostrophe in the topic description, and the plugin isn't escaping it, so the result is a malformed SQL insert/update string that blows up.

Thanks for reading.