MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: how to change guest to usernames in a shared printer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
how to change guests to a defined / meaning full name in a shared printer, i.e. when someone on network prints, the username comes to be guest i.e. very hard to judged who is printing, is there a way to change this to their computer name,

in my case, I got the printer and when i prints , the printer queue says that, sunjava is printing and when my brother prints from his pc then it says that guest is printing

I want to change it to my brother's pc name, i.e. oracle is printing Toungue
I don't think this is possible unless you're using a "Domain" network set up.
But it's too much to do, just for a home setup.
anyother way to do ?
I don't think so. In Active Directory you can set this up but otherwise it's hard. You can use local usernames because then I could just make a user account with your username and print out anything I wanted and it would appear to be you Sad
tell me how to use local usernames ?
To use local usernames, it might work something like this;

Let's say, the username on your brother's PC is "Oracle", and the one on yours is "Sun Java", you need to create another user account on your PC named "Oracle" using the exact same password from your brother's PC, matching his "Oracle" account. The "Oracle" account you're creating on your PC does not require Administrator rights, just FYI.

Then, on your shared printer, remove permissions for "Everyone". By default sharing permissions, "Everyone" can print to it. You need to remove that, then add in "Oracle" manually, giving it rights to print.

Delete & re-add the printer on your brother's computer if needed to properly "refresh" the changes.

It might show "Oracle" is printing from this method, but I wouldn't put a lot of faith into it.

It shouldn't matter who it shows is printing, a print job is only there for a mere few seconds, and it's just you & him. As opposed to an office environment with a dozen or more people.