MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Post Editing History
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I don't think this exists in 1.6, but if it does please correct me.

I'd like to be able to view post differences between edits. vB has an ability to keep copies and allow staff to view it, it would be nice to have.
What's the intended use? Like, what are you looking to find by viewing history?
There is a plugin which does this, I tried it for about 2 weeks and didn't find it useful at all.
I see the usefulness of it but as Solidus said it's not really need for everyone. It's only really useful on large posts that are updated pretty regularly.
Mods editing out what users originally said, I'm already having a dispute about it on 1 forum, the other mods want to see what was originally written.

And another, is users immediately removing what they wrote, replacing it with [Deleted].

If there was some form of advertising that was against the rules or another rule violation, I'd like to review what was there.
(2012-04-16, 12:56 AM)weBex Wrote: [ -> ]And another, is users immediately removing what they wrote, replacing it with [Deleted].

If there was some form of advertising that was against the rules or another rule violation, I'd like to review what was there.
I completely agree.
Why not just use a Plugin. Not every Owner would want this. Shouldn't be a core feature IMHO.
Personally this is a good feature if it was setup so that only maybe Mods and higher can see it (or you could adjust the settings in the AdminCP for it) since people do exactly what weBex said.
That's what I meant, for staff only.

Now, I didn't know this existed as a plugin.

So I'll go search for one now, for 1.6 ;P
This SHOULD be implemented as a core feature of MyBB 2.x series. It's fundamental. Administrators and moderators need to view the history of post edits for the safety and security of its users and its forum.

A post/thread edit history feature is fundamental for the safety and reputation of MyBB forums - its users and for the uses of various forums.

Not all forums are used for content. I will explain to you why a post edit history function is crucial for every time of MyBB forum in existence.

- For content forums, a user can easily spam a link or promote a competing site without notice. Then, when the heat is getting onto them or the link has passed its juice to their site, editing the link(s) out of the post is easy, and without a post edit history function, how would anyone know the spam existed in the first place? And spam can drastically hurt SERPs; one person links to a bad site, and your site/forum will be penalized for it.

- Someone could post malware, spyware, keyloggers, adware, trojans, and/or viruses, and then edit it after it has been downloaded a couple of times. This will effect both your forum's reputation as well as your own Google rankings, possibly resulting in your innocent site/forum being blacklisted, permanently or temporarily.

- Not all forums are used for content. Some are used for transactions. This is a fundamental feature that must be incorporated within MyBB. For example, at our MMORPG Account Sales Marketplace forum, we can look at post edit history as it's built in with vBulletin. A user could easily list something for sale, scam someone, and then change their post. It'd be nice to have solid evidence that can support issues rather than pure hear-say.

It's also a fundamental feature to avoid staff members that abuse powers, go rogue, and/or scam users within threads that they create. A thread/post edit history is fundamental I say, fundamental.

This idea was posted at http://ideas.mybb.com - please vote for it here:

http://ideas.mybb.com/idea/post-edit-history
(2012-04-16, 01:16 AM)iHydra Wrote: [ -> ]Why not just use a Plugin. Not every Owner would want this. Shouldn't be a core feature IMHO.

This is a poor reason to justify if something should be Core or not. I don't use the Warning system at all -- should it not be Core, then?
Pages: 1 2