MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Most embarrassing moment?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
So what's your most embarrassing moment with web development / administration? Mine was ages ago, when I started my first forum. A friend was helping me install the theme and I couldn't see the changes. He told me to "delete my cache" - so I went in to my FTP client, went to MyBB and deleted the "cache" folder. Big Grin That was perhaps one of the most embarrassing moments of my web career.

What's yours?
My first (and only, because I have such little experience) embarrassing moment was this June, when Otaku Space got taken down by the host. I don't know why, but it was down for around three months. Medz was the tech admin, basically, and I was a figurehead. It took a while to get up, because he had so much work to do, but I eventually gave him my FTP info, and he just uploaded a 5-month-old shell of Otaku Space to it. But, it's gotten much better. I'll probably have many more spills to share, hah.
A few months ago, I had started coding a fairly big plugin. I was almost finished but suddenly the voltage drops and my computer shuts-down. When I re-started the computer the windows started scanning the files and it deleted few files among that big plugin :s That was an absolute embarrassed moment in my web carrier.
I downloaded MyBB 1.4 for the first time, when there was a upgrade I deleted the old 1.4 and uploaded 1.6.
That was kinda stupid but memberless test forums.
I think my worst moment was right at the end of setting up a brand new VPS, my final command was to clear the default apache files and instead of running rm -rf ./*, I mistyped it and ran rm -rf /* and had to start again Toungue
I think my biggest embarrassment was not using the merge or upgrade system for 8 months. Sigh...
(2012-04-18, 04:21 PM)Charlie Hadden Wrote: [ -> ]I think my worst moment was right at the end of setting up a brand new VPS, my final command was to clear the default apache files and instead of running rm -rf ./*, I mistyped it and ran rm -rf /* and had to start again Toungue

I thought rm checked for things like that and asked confirmation before wiping the disk... IDK, it's been a while since I've had to worry about that.

My most embarrassing moment was forgetting to test my theme on another monitor before putting it online for others to see. It was the first time I'd ever used the term Day-glo to describe a color scheme (apparently my old monitor washed out colors, so I overcompensated to see the ones I wanted to see). The worst part was that it took me a bit of arguing with people to try and post constructive criticism (which they never really did) before I had a chance to see it on another monitor.
I once used Go Daddy.
(2012-04-19, 02:36 AM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-04-18, 04:21 PM)Charlie Hadden Wrote: [ -> ]I think my worst moment was right at the end of setting up a brand new VPS, my final command was to clear the default apache files and instead of running rm -rf ./*, I mistyped it and ran rm -rf /* and had to start again Toungue

I thought rm checked for things like that and asked confirmation before wiping the disk... IDK, it's been a while since I've had to worry about that.

The -rf flag skips confirmation (Removes forcefully).
I might talk about it someday. Toungue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5