MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Documentation on user creation.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a script i am running from Wordpress, upon completion of a form on Wordpress i have it enter data into the mybb database which creates a forum posting(in threads and posts tables). This works fine and everything but i am also wondering if i could go about using this same form to act as a new user registration, outside of the existing one.

The only thing i am unsure of is the 'password' 'salt' and 'loginkey', and how they are generated. im assuming some md5 and so on. was wondering if this is documented any where so i can make a custom user registration form, or perhaps answered in another thread(ive been searching a bit already with no luck). Looked around the wiki, but could only find info on the database/table itself, and not the generation methods.

I know i could poke around the code for a while and eventually find it, just looking for a short cut around that Smile

Ok, so far i got this much

the 'salt' field is a random 8 character string generated at the time of user creation
the 'password' field is a md5 of the combination of an md5 of the password and a md5 of the salt

so down to needing the login_key

k guess just ignore the entire post, found the login_key, being the same as the salt only 50 characters instead of 8
Hi Mirthen,

Thank you for your post. I'm trying to do the same thing, without much success. I would have thought it'd be a common enough request, so there'd be a plugin

If you could let me know how you went, and the code you used to get things done, I'd be eternally grateful!! My email is [email protected]

Thank you.

Nathan

(2012-04-20, 05:47 AM)mirthen Wrote: [ -> ]I have a script i am running from Wordpress, upon completion of a form on Wordpress i have it enter data into the mybb database which creates a forum posting(in threads and posts tables). This works fine and everything but i am also wondering if i could go about using this same form to act as a new user registration, outside of the existing one.

The only thing i am unsure of is the 'password' 'salt' and 'loginkey', and how they are generated. im assuming some md5 and so on. was wondering if this is documented any where so i can make a custom user registration form, or perhaps answered in another thread(ive been searching a bit already with no luck). Looked around the wiki, but could only find info on the database/table itself, and not the generation methods.

I know i could poke around the code for a while and eventually find it, just looking for a short cut around that Smile

Ok, so far i got this much

the 'salt' field is a random 8 character string generated at the time of user creation
the 'password' field is a md5 of the combination of an md5 of the password and a md5 of the salt

so down to needing the login_key

k guess just ignore the entire post, found the login_key, being the same as the salt only 50 characters instead of 8