MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Guest sending PM??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, I know that if it says a guest is accessing the PM system, they're just looking at the Permission screen, but what could they possibly be doing for it to say they are sending a PM? See screen shot! This is the second time I've seen this! Mostly just curious.

[attachment=3738]
That is just the location. I am not a developer so I can't quote the entire system word-for-word, but I imagine that even if the guest is getting an error saying they can't access the system, that technically speaking they have accessed the page. So I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you have found that the guests are actually sending private messages.
Well, unless they send me one or a member complains, I won't know. It's just weird, since they shouldn't be able to get any further than "accessing PM system" not actually being able to even try to send a PM. That's why I'm concerned.

EDIT: OK, I figured it out. This guest obviously knows about the forum and must have been trying random urls...for instance, if you send a PM when you're logged in, the url is ...forum/private.php?action=send
So if you copy and paste that url when you're a guest at another forum, it will give you the permission screen and show in the online list that you're sending a PM. But it's just strange that someone would take the time to do this??? Seeing what they can get away with? I'm tempted to ban the next ISP that does this!
It could also be a Search Engine bot that hasn't got an IP recognised by MyBB, and so is represented as a Guest.
MyBB doesn't recognize by IP for bots.
And I would hope my robots.txt keeps all of them out anyway! Big Grin
I think it's usually from the "PM" button below the each post. In 1.1.x the location is just reported wrong. In 1.2 it will display "Viewing No Permission Page" or something similar.
OMG! I never even thought of that!!!! Guess that's why you're the mybb whiz, Dennis! LOL...Jeesh, don't I feel like the dumb blonde now! Wink