MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: When you start a new site...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey all,

When you get an idea for a new site, do you plan it completely out in advance (ie. software, theme, plugins, monetization (if you do that), etc.) before you start, or do you wing it and decide as you create the site?

I've got 5 months before I can start putting my sites up (FTP + laptop + WiFi = sucks!Sad), so I was considering to plan them in advance, but I want to know what people in general do before I decide whether or not to do it (as I will have to wait for 5 months before I can start work on even 1 of them).

TIA!
Nathan P.
I have a semi-specific plan Toungue. I get a good base and then kind of go with the flow Big Grin.
I make a small mindmap of what I want to do with categories etc, maybe 1 plugin but that's it.

It'll go along in the flow, most important is getting members, posts and threads and not games in your arcade or a hundred achievements Big Grin
Thanks for your opinions folks! Anyone else got advice?
FWIW, I started GamerVoid with the idea of just going with the flow.
I always plan, it takes me a while before I get an idea online.
I usually buy a domain and just go from there. I know it's horrible and every one will probably tell you to do otherwise, but nothing works in my head until I actually do it. Maybe at the most I'll plan what forums I want, but how they're set up, what theme I want to use, what plugins I'll have, all of that is decided when I need it.
As I have 5 months, I'm seriously considering planning each site out completely. Then I can list them in order from easiest to hardest with anything that would have to be paid for increasing the level of difficulty of the said site.

For that reason alone, I know I will be doing my food site last of the six (custom recipe and reviews plugins, custom theme, thinking about either MyBB or a custom CMS, etc.), and my music site first cause it will have nothing that I will need to pay for.

I'd name them all here and what they are each about, but that would drive this thread off-topic. Thanks for the replies to everyone who's posted in this thread so far! Big Grin
With 5 months I would say get a couple books and create a custom CMS. It can't hurt to know more PHP.
(2012-04-24, 11:22 AM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]With 5 months I would say get a couple books and create a custom CMS. It can't hurt to know more PHP.

This is probably a good idea.
Pages: 1 2