MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Change the lengthy registration process
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
After seeing 'Change the Admin Login System', I thought I'd make my own suggestions for the Registration system.

The Registration is complicated. I get users always complaining they can't register. Specially from my Minecraft server.

I have a few suggestions to simplify the process:

1. Move the Captcha below the Registration Agreement.
If they can get through that part, there not bots correct?

2. Remove confirm password, leave 'confirm email'.
Facebook is doing this, a lot of other sites are doing it. Registrations increases a lot when their is one less field to fill in. As long as they put in the right email, they can always reset the password if they forget it after registered. Be honest though, what is the chance of someone actually forgetting there password as soon as they fill it in?

3. Remove Account Prefs/Time zone
Even if it's not required, the average user will still think they have to fill it in. Making the process longer.

Just some of my suggestions......

ALSO.. this is a good read: http://uxdesign.smashingmagazine.com/201...nd-logins/ Some great ideas and suggestions on some great ways to simplify the signup process, including a few ways to get around having a confirm password.
Removing confrim password is a terrible idea.

Alot of people use the same password for 40 and 1 things while this might not be a good idea. They quickly in there haste inserting there password mystype it. And without the check with the second one if they match they can easily end up in a situation where instead of:

hello

they type something like

hekko

And then you as admin can go fix those issues by resseting there password.

But i do agree with the timezone thing. That could just as easily be a simple option in the userCP and doesnt have to be on the registration page.
Here is my new registration page. I did this all using template edits.

[Image: K5hJD.png]

No registration agreement, either. Keep it simple. Am planning to document my experience of "humanizing" the MyBB software to be more useful to people who are not advanced forum users. Would like to get rid of "confirm password" and "confirm e-mail" too but that's a bit tricker to do.
^ Love. I'll be having that. Shy

Confirmation is tricky but should be kept IMO.
Haha, would be happy to trade some code with you Tomm M Wink You're doing some things I'd like to know about as well!

Working on the User Profile now, then the User CP next ... it's a pretty daunting task. I hope the resulting report will be useful for other admins here and maybe the designers working on 2.0.
I think most stuff in the right pane on the registration page can be just left in the usercp.
Email confirm can be removed.
Password confirm should be kept though.

I agree that when users see a simpler form, or one with less fields, they think it is a lot quicker and easier to register.
Yeah, exactly. All that stuff can be set up once you have them "in." Trying to think of how to "guide" the user once registered to populate their profile, post an intro, etc.
(2012-04-24, 03:13 PM)Uncontrol Wrote: [ -> ]Here is my new registration page. I did this all using template edits.

[Image: K5hJD.png]

No registration agreement, either. Keep it simple. Am planning to document my experience of "humanizing" the MyBB software to be more useful to people who are not advanced forum users. Would like to get rid of "confirm password" and "confirm e-mail" too but that's a bit tricker to do.

I got to admit that is pretty freaking cool, good job mate.

@OP removing confirm password is a pretty silly idea, for the reason state above. That being if someone mistypes they won't realize it.

Honestly out of all the forum software, MyBB has one of the easiest and quickest registration systems.
It wasn't a silly idea for the other major sites.

http://www.quora.com/User-Experience/Do-...s-password
http://www.leemunroe.com/confirm-passwords-signup/

Wufoo, Tumblr, Facebook, Gmail, Basecamp, ether removed confirm password, or confirm email.

As long as there is a confirm email, and there is an easy reset password process...... Just my suggestion though.

@uncontrol that is pretty sexy. Is it possible to do that and release it as a theme? (The XML file stuff). I'd do something like that for my upcoming theme.
+1 for removing "confirm password"

Honestly, is there anybody who doesn't copy-paste the first field into the second one?

Confirm email is more than enough for un-lazy people (if you enter the wrong password you can always recover it).

Side note: visual CAPTCHAs are an accessibility nightmare.
Pages: 1 2 3 4