MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Problem with page flicker when clicking download links
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Everyone,

I have MyBB v1.6.6 installed and have setup my forum nicely. However, there is one very annoying issue I am experiencing, and it occurs when I click on direct download links to files. When I click on the link, a short flicker or flash occurs in my browsers, after which the forum page comes back and the download dialogue of the browser takes over.

Now when I click on the same download links from a phpBB and a XenForo forum, there is no blank page flicker, and the download dialogues start up smoothly, when using the same browsers (Firefox and Pale Moon).

So this leads me to believe the page flicker/flash is particular to my MyBB forum. Since I am using a dark skin for my forum, it really jolts my eyes and brain when this occurs. I perused all the MyBB mods and plugins I could find but have come up empty.

Is there a solution for this or can someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you,

trala
Can you provide a URL of a page on your forum where you get this problem?
(2012-04-25, 11:25 AM)Alan Shepperson Wrote: [ -> ]Can you provide a URL of a page on your forum where you get this problem?

No, I'm sorry, I cannot, as it is a private forum. Basically what it is doing is something that everyone has experienced in one form another. Sometimes when you click on a download link, a new tab will open, and once the download starts the tab closes. In some cases (depending on the site I guess) the tab stays open but blank. Well, it is doing something similar. When I click a download link I've made, instead of only the browser's download window occurring, it is like a new/empty page quickly loads and then returns to the download window. Not that I actually see a tab opening, it is as if it is taking place on the same page I'm on, and it is just turning white/blank for a split second.

[EDIT: I was in the process of uploading something, and tried clicking a link again, and in fact for a short duration a new tab in my browser does open when clicking download links. Because of the ongoing upload, my connection was slow, and therefore it allowed me to see a tab was being opened. Once the file the link is referring to starts to load, the tab disappears. This tab taking over is what causes the blank/white flash when clicking links to files. But it should not be trying to open a new tab or page, it should just download the file only, without trying to open a new page.]

Surely someone has encountered this as well? But yes, I tested with the same download links (to the letter) on a phpBB and on a XenForo forum, with the same browsers, and it does not happen in those forums. I just get the browser download window and no page flicker. The download links are to files I have uploaded directly with a FTP utility on the same hosting account I have the MyBB forum on, so they are direct links.

It may be something described such as on this site: http://forums.asp.net/t/1616475.aspx/1 But I would not know how to implement a fix for my forum based on what they are discussing there. I've gone through the Admin CPL to see if any settings pertain to this, but cannot find anything.
The problem is happening because links within posts in MyBB are set to open in a new tab. The only way I can think of changing it right now is with a core edit, but I'll have a look in a few minutes.
(2012-04-25, 01:44 PM)euantor Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is happening because links within posts in MyBB are set to open in a new tab. The only way I can think of changing it right now is with a core edit, but I'll have a look in a few minutes.

That would be great if you could, thank you Shy

Does anyone know a workaround to not have MyBB open links within posts in a new tab? Surely this has come to the forefront before, and especially among people running or visiting forums with dark themes? Either way I believe that even changing this default behavior might be something to consider for future releases of MyBB; but if nothing else this surely should be made editable or even better optional from the CPL or via a plugin, I would think.