MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Site not getting indexed by search engines... what's wrong?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings-

I have had a mybb based site for about 8 months. I have roughly 160 members, but they came from other forum, not from finding me in search engines.

I have the google SEO plugin installed and properly configured, and I also have the MetaTags 1.0 plugin by snuffles installed and populated with keywords.

I have submitted my site weekly to many search engine for months.

I am seeing almost no traffic and horrible search engine results although content has been added on a daily basis to my site. Is this a mybb problem? I was told going with a "better" aka "costly" forum software package would garner immediate and better search results...... is this true? I was looking at IVPB andVbulletin. I have spent so much time and effort on mybb that I would LOVE to get this site indexed properly....

Site: www.migunrack.com
what is in your robots.txt?
(2012-04-25, 06:30 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]what is in your robots.txt?

Elaborate for me pave. You helped me a ton when I started the site man. How do I know what my robots.txt is?

I just ftp'd and didnt see a robots.txt in my root director.
You have possibly 100's of meta keywords on your index, that isn't beneficial at all, in fact it's probably damaging your SEO efforts. Pick ten at most and get rid of the rest.

When I search Google for some of your recent threads you're actually on page 1 for most of them so I don't think it's as bad as you think.

Are you using Google Analytics or Webmaster Tools?
definitely cut back on the meta keywords. you should pair them down to only the unique words, not unique phrases. example, you only need mossberg and reloading once in the list.

and read this about robots.txt

http://www.robotstxt.org/
(2012-04-25, 07:03 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]definitely cut back on the meta keywords. you should pair them down to only the unique words, not unique phrases. example, you only need mossberg and reloading once in the list.

I was using one of googles webmaster meta tag tools. I only was going by what google was suggesting for keyword content.

So I should shorten the meta tag keyword list down to just a few?

I added a robots.txt, and included my sitemap.xml in it per a few posts regardling mybb and crawling. So I hope that helps me also...

(2012-04-25, 06:59 PM)Alan Shepperson Wrote: [ -> ]You have possibly 100's of meta keywords on your index, that isn't beneficial at all, in fact it's probably damaging your SEO efforts. Pick ten at most and get rid of the rest.

When I search Google for some of your recent threads you're actually on page 1 for most of them so I don't think it's as bad as you think.

Are you using Google Analytics or Webmaster Tools?

thank you for the help. I searched a thread title too and I showed up. I didnt realize they were indexed in that manner.
You're indexed.

About 37,400 results (0.21 seconds)

So what are you talking about?
(2012-04-25, 08:05 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]You're indexed.

About 37,400 results (0.21 seconds)

So what are you talking about?

I guess those small changes made a difference. I am already seeing better results! Wink