MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: my site not on google search
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
thanks for all the info ,where can i find the robot.txt
(2012-04-26, 11:45 PM)CRAIG@VM Wrote: [ -> ]thanks for that m8 ive took you advise and removed it now the only reason i had it is that my site started as .com but when i moved from my free site they said i cant transfer my .com domain untill ive had it 3 months (i can transfer it in a few days now) so i brought the .co.uk and put a landing page on my old site the .com and pur a redirect ob it so that you clicked it and went to the .co.uk and just want both the same ,is there anything else i can do to get it ranked better on google searches?

You don’t need a splash page. You can set the name servers for your www.vauxhallmodified.com DN to your new host then park the www.vauxhallmodified.com at that host. That way anyone who uses the .com DN will automatically be redirected to the new site.
i cant do anything with it untill the end of the month as i brought it with forumation (a free forum) so i`ve got no control over it untill they let me transfer it on the 30th
(2012-04-27, 03:16 PM)CRAIG@VM Wrote: [ -> ]i cant do anything with it untill the end of the month as i brought it with forumation (a free forum) so i`ve got no control over it untill they let me transfer it on the 30th

That’s unfortunate. I’ve always found it best to buy my DN from a company whose business is a registrar first and foremost. Also by using two different companies my host and my registrar are not tied at the hip so I'm free to do whatever I want whenever I want.
(2012-04-27, 09:48 AM)CRAIG@VM Wrote: [ -> ]thanks for all the info ,where can i find the robot.txt

robot.txt is a file you can use to tell a search bot what it can and what it cant index on your site.
Its not needed if you are fine letting google index your whole site so.
The only use the robot.txt file has, is if you dont want a search bot to index your whole site. You can then exclude certain directories from being index'ed.
(2012-04-26, 05:57 PM)CRAIG@VM Wrote: [ -> ]hi my site is`nt appearing on google with any of my key words i tried vauxhall forum and got to page 12 and still not on there the only way it appears is by typing the forum name my site is www.vauxhallmodified.co.uk

yet post from when i was on forumation free forum show up and now i`m on a paid server nothing

It’s not coming up because vauxhall forum is not the name of your forum. I suggest you add the word forum in Admin CP for your forum’s name, then it would be Vauxhall Modified Forum. That name would make more sense in search engine results. Also I would use title case instead of all caps, it improves readability.

Board Settings > General Configuration > Board Name
I completely missed this but this is really stupid from me.

You said you went from .com to .co.uk
You will have to use the google webmaster tools to to get your new site to show up.
Use on your .com domain a 301 redirect to your new site which will make google and anybody else always index that site.

The 3 steps you need to do:
  • Set up your content on your new domain.
  • Redirect content from your old site using 301 redirects.
  • Add and verify your new site to Webmaster Tools.

So go to your .com ftp root look for the .htacces file and insert this i believe:

//301 Redirect Entire Directory
RedirectMatch 301 http://www.vauxhallmodified.com/(.*) http://vauxhallmodified.co.uk//$1

Works much better then a stupid splash page
Pages: 1 2