MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Common forum across 20 forum communities
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thank you for the feedback everyone.

Perhaps at that time I will have to migrate all the sites to IPB or Vbulletin. I would hate to do it though, because I quite like MyBB (and that would be quite a bit of change for all the license fees!).

Could I request that multi-site capabilities be developed into MyBB 2.0?
(2012-05-02, 06:40 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-02, 02:25 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like I should start working again on my Subdomain Split plugin as this is getting to be a requested a lot more lately

I was typing out a suggestion for an attempt using subdomains, cnames, and forum specific themes but felt it was too theoretical to post.

MyBB does allow you to specific themes to forums. I don't see anyone ever use it but it's there and could be powerful if properly implemented. Like having custom Steam colors on a gaming forum for Steam forums area. You can do complete changes like the logo and everything.

Remove the breadcrumb to full index, do some fancy schmancy edits and I think it will work. But not without a lot of experimenting and pain.

The benefit of that approach is that not only do you share the database but the file system as well. Making things like avatars and plugins network wide and on one server.

Now this is just a theoretical approach and I've never seen anyone do it but in my mind I think it's possible and how I would try it.

Big issue of course will be making sure cookies and sessions work under the cnames.

If you use just subdomains this would be easy to do.

what you suggest is what I have 95% complete. it would not work for multiple domains due to XSS protections but subdomains it works great.

and you are right about a lot of work to figure out..... it was a total PITA to get where it is now
(2012-04-30, 09:08 AM)Wimbledon Wrote: [ -> ]....
Has anyone else accomplished a similar arrangement with MyBB? I know this can be done with Vbulletin.

Usersync (across multiple domains) is easier than SSO (single-sign-on)
[Tutorial] Sync your users with another MyBB board

The above tutorial:
* Does actually work.
* Is a bit advanced for some users, but really not too hard, IMO.
* I'm also working on something similar w/ database triggers (not ready to write up, yet), so user-sync is possible more than one way.
* No core file edits needed; You're working w/ the DB not the PHP code.

That is free, SSO costs money. Toungue
Pages: 1 2