MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: "Barebones" MyBB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, I am fairly new to the whole web development scene and I've been dabbling in PHP, JavaScript and I have a decent understanding of HTML and CSS already, so I am getting there. So, I basically want to be able to make my own layout, my own pages, etc but I want the "core" features of MyBB if you get what I mean. So stuff like posting, the functions that are able to be done in the ACP/MCP (not the ACP page itself, I want to try and create these myself).

Not sure if this can be done or if it will be too difficult. Don't know, but I'd really love to do it, it seems like fun and it would aid me in learning far more because it's going to be more intensive than making a basic webpage.
(2012-04-30, 07:53 PM)Novus Anima Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys, I am fairly new to the whole web development scene and I've been dabbling in PHP, JavaScript and I have a decent understanding of HTML and CSS already, so I am getting there. So, I basically want to be able to make my own layout, my own pages, etc but I want the "core" features of MyBB if you get what I mean. So stuff like posting, the functions that are able to be done in the ACP/MCP (not the ACP page itself, I want to try and create these myself).

Not sure if this can be done or if it will be too difficult. Don't know, but I'd really love to do it, it seems like fun and it would aid me in learning far more because it's going to be more intensive than making a basic webpage.

Yes you can, It's called theming and there are already loads of themes available in the themes section, under the mods section.
(2012-04-30, 07:53 PM)Novus Anima Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys, I am fairly new to the whole web development scene and I've been dabbling in PHP, JavaScript and I have a decent understanding of HTML and CSS already, so I am getting there. So, I basically want to be able to make my own layout, my own pages, etc but I want the "core" features of MyBB if you get what I mean. So stuff like posting, the functions that are able to be done in the ACP/MCP (not the ACP page itself, I want to try and create these myself).

That's actually what MyBB is good for. It's a core forum software that extendible.
@Echo Off
Thanks for the information. I'll see about making my own tomorrow. Smile

@labrocca
MM, yeah. You know what files I can delete without damaging the core software?
Why would you need to do that?

Quote:Hey guys, I am fairly new to the whole web development scene

As new guy here is a tip. Don't waste too much time deconstructing MyBB.
(2012-05-01, 04:43 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Why would you need to do that?

It sound like he wants to use MyBB as a framework to build other software/sites. I'd think you're being a bit too ambitious, mate, and I suggest you use a CMS, such as WordPress, to start out with building custom functionality. It's possible to do with MyBB, but as a beginner it's a bit over your head.

I just want to create my own like, environment, I suppose.

(2012-05-01, 12:25 PM)Pixlr Wrote: [ -> ]

It sound like he wants to use MyBB as a framework to build other software/sites. I'd think you're being a bit too ambitious, mate, and I suggest you use a CMS, such as WordPress, to start out with building custom functionality. It's possible to do with MyBB, but as a beginner it's a bit over your head.

Yeah, that's exactly what I want to do. But I guess I am being a bit too ambitious. I just want to create something the way I would like it to be done, and I love the MyBB forum engine, so I thought I'd use that and deviate a bit.
Well, you can build your own sites with MyBB easily and use it as a backend.

For the beginning I'd suggest that you:
- set up a MyBB
- create some users and threads
- create a new php file with the following code snippets

//Connect to MyBB

define("IN_MYBB", 1);

define("NO_ONLINE", 1); // Do not show on Who's online list

include_once("your_mybb_path/global.php");

if($mybb->user[uid] == "1"){
	echo "<pre>";
	print_r($mybb);
	echo "</pre>";
	}
else{
	echo "Nothing to see here";
	}

Now you do have access to the main MyBB variable. Have a look and see what you can do with it. You could for example output the user's name:
echo $mybb->user['username'];

In the end you should know how to use custom templates, created via MyBB ACP:
//Fetch the template for this item
eval("\$site = \"".$templates->get("template_name"."\";");
//Load the template

//Display the site and the items
output_page($site);

Now you might have a clue how to start on this - I wish you success. If you embedd more MyBB options you can create a complete CMS or other sites easily - with a nice and stable MyBB backend.