MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Cross Domain Compatbility
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here's something I've realized about myBB. I have a phpbb forum and I can use it on any of my domains but I cant do this in myBB. So maybe make it so the forum will work on any domain that is configured in cpanel.
Can you explain a bit more StevenF50? Why is it not cross domain compatible?
You can only have one cookie domain, etc.
@Tomm M Well I'll use my site as an example. I can login to my site at: http://forumassist.in but if I tried to access it on another domain: http://penguinhub.eu/adforum I can't login without been logged straight out. With my phpbb forum it'll work 100% on any domain I use.
I see. We'll bear this in mind, but really, not sure of a situation where you would provide duplicate content across multiple domains.
I believe it can already be done with a cookie prefix and an empty cookie domain and path, IIRC.
You can probably log in but you'll be redirected to the path where the forum was installed to. Unless I'm just not catching on.
(2012-05-01, 04:32 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]You can probably log in but you'll be redirected to the path where the forum was installed to. Unless I'm just not catching on.

Yes, that's correct. However if you edit inc/settings.php and change the Board URL to $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] then I believe you can go around that as well.
That's what I mean!

This would be good because it would stop people messing up their settings file and asking people how to change them, also it would help for people who set up their domains pre-nameserver update, etc.
Sessions are almost always cookie-based, and cookies cannot be shared across non-related domains. The closest you can do is to pass an identifier on redirecting to the different domain which then retrieve session data from some shared resource (eg. a database). The downside to such a system is that hackers can try random identifier strings to try hijack a session.
Pages: 1 2