MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Advertisement System Built In
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It'd be a good idea to have a plugin like myadvertisements built in as a lot of people want a easy way to add adverisements on their site.
No, it wouldn't. Some boards have advertisements for specific groups, but most boards I've seen do not have advertisements on them. Waste of code, IMO. It's plenty easy to upload a plugin for it.
No... Not everyone wants ads. I, myself, will never add ads until other options are exhausted (VIP, Donate, etc.).
(2012-05-02, 11:10 AM)Odin of Aesir Wrote: [ -> ]No, it wouldn't. Some boards have advertisements for specific groups, but most boards I've seen do not have advertisements on them. Waste of code, IMO. It's plenty easy to upload a plugin for it.

Or edit it into the template yourself.
Different sites have different strategies regarding revenue generation. Different sites use different ad providers (such as Adwords, Amazon, etc) which are different enough to require customization for each. Some sites only show ads to certain user groups (based on either actual user group or post count). Some sites only put advertisements on certain forums. The placement of ads are also complicated.
This should not be built in. Ad management is complex and should be up to the site admin. Adding Adsense code for example is very easy to do into the templates. Then there is people who want group exemptions. Then there are people that want tracking. Then you have people that want rotation. Then you have people that want direct selling. Then you have people that want geo-targeting. Then there are options for locations of the ads.

Ad management is complex.

Are you getting the picture yet?
^ Exactly. There are so many possible ways an admin might want to present ads that it's better to let plugin devs and the admins handle it.