MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New member IP of 0
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello I've just got a new member registered with an IP of 0

They have made 1 post
Quote:hye...
i;m new here..
nice meet of of u..
but on checking the IP it says
Quote:N/A (Unable to resolve)

Anyone know how this has happened ?

Thanks.
Perhaps he used IPv6?
(2012-05-02, 06:53 PM)StefanT Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps he used IPv6?

Sorry don't know what that is Blush could you explain a bit more please and what can I do to stop it happening again.
IPv6 is the new internet protocol that will replace the current IPv4 in the coming years. It basically has way more IP adresses than IPv4. IPv4 has 4.294.967.296 unique IP addresses but the internet is growing to quickly and thus more addresses are needed. That's why IPv6 will replace IPv4 because it has up to 340000000000000000000000000000000000000 unique addresses.

If you get 0 as an IP address then I assume MyBB doesn't support IPv6?
Thanks for that. going by your explanation then an IP of a single 0 can't be a valid IP address?
(2012-05-02, 07:46 PM)sarisisop Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for that. going by your explanation then an IP of a single 0 can't be a valid IP address?

0 certainly is not a valid IP address. Do you have any other way to look up the IP address of your "0-user"?
Yes IPV6 IP that I do not believe MyBB is compatible with yet. Some changes to get_ip() would fix that.
Improvements for IPv6 support will be implemented in to 1.8. Smile
(2012-05-02, 08:02 PM)mattias Wrote: [ -> ]
(2012-05-02, 07:46 PM)sarisisop Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for that. going by your explanation then an IP of a single 0 can't be a valid IP address?

0 certainly is not a valid IP address. Do you have any other way to look up the IP address of your "0-user"?

Nope not that I can find, all I got on the registration was 0 and the logged IP in the post was N/A (Unable to resolve)
(2012-05-02, 08:29 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Yes IPV6 IP that I do not believe MyBB is compatible with yet. Some changes to get_ip() would fix that.

Is this something I could do? If I ban a spammer with an IPv6 they can just re register with another Email as I can't ban an IP of 0

I think this is going to become a bit of a spam problem, and going by what I have found out IPv6 has been around a while. OK 1.8 will address the problem, but how long will that take before its out and been used for a while to iron out any bugs or fixes.

Thanks