MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Thank You MyBB!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Shew.. before I discovered other forum software, I was using SMF.

If you've been with SMF or Phpbb3 and are perhaps browsing this now trying to decide, "should I switch to MyBB?" Do it.. for the love of god do it.

With SMF, its just one error after another, after another, after another and so on. The latest error was the last straw for me. Their latest version has a pretty bad bug at the moment where it'll continually give users errors when trying to delete posts, log in, access the admin panel, etc. I finally had had enough of SMF and having to manually edit just about everything I do in that thing.

So far in MyBB, I'm editing everything in the Admin panel and everything loads so quick and so smooth. I was offput at first because someone said MyBB's admin panel was confusing? How the hell is this confusing? It's the easiest administration panel I've ever used.

It also has a lot of features that SMF or Phpbb don't have and you need to download a lot of packages to come close to the functionality that I have found with this software so far. Which again.. will more than likely require editing

GOD FORBID you have anything other than the default theme on SMF.. then you're just asking for trouble. I hope MyBB stays as awesome as it is right now right out of the box. No problems so far and everything is loading as smooth as it possibly can.

Shew.. thank you MyBB, I thought I was going to have to purchase a vBulletin license just to get away from the awful creation that is SMF and Phpbb3
I agree completely with your post. MyBB is an amazing software. Big Grin (The ACP makes me pick it over vB more than anything xD)
I haven't been able to test out vBulletin yet but the only problems I've had with MyBB so far have been through Plugins and not the software.

It's fast as hell and I've really only had problems with two plugins.

#1 - Ad Management - It was confusing trying to find where exactly you add any ads at (the author more than likely isn't using English as his native language and has didn't quite include where to do this at)
#2 - The second was Google SEO URLs. This thing wanted to fight me and when I changed some URL settings and re-wrote the Htaccess, it kept giving me 404's.

Both of these problems were easily correctable.. yet again something I could never do on SMF.. if I had a Package problem on SMF.. it more than likely wasn't getting fixed.
I also made the switch from smf to mybb just over a year ago, so completely understand your decision, some people swear by smf but i still think mybb is easier to manage.
I swapped from phpBB early in 2011... Don't plan on switching away...

vB's ACP sucks.
MyBB = Best non-commercial forum software.
'nuff said.
I completely agree except for one thing which is a 'missing' plugin. The only problem I have is that the only forum that has a LinkedIn connect plugin is SMF so I'm just not bothering even though I kinda need it! :L
Among the widespread software forums, SMF is by far the worst. It's really a crap. Their programmers are lousy and their fans in denial.

I'm my opinion, VB > MyBB > IPB > Xenforo > phpBB >>>>>> SMF.

IPB is probably the most secure, but it is a cold unfriendly looking platform.
I was a former SMF 1 and phpBB2/3 user and was never happy with it.I kept looking for another forum to try and found myBB.The demo was very helpful and the troubles I was getting with the other two never showed up.

Now I stopped looking around for a different free software.Why keep looking when what I am using is good enough?
(2012-05-13, 04:23 PM)Clarkie Wrote: [ -> ]I completely agree except for one thing which is a 'missing' plugin. The only problem I have is that the only forum that has a LinkedIn connect plugin is SMF so I'm just not bothering even though I kinda need it! :L

Request a plugin, i'm sure someone would make it :p
Pages: 1 2