MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Default sign up options for theads and PM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I am not sure if this had been mentioned before. Current MyBB default option for new signups is "Do Not Subscribe" for threads, and No email notification upon receiving PM.

These are not good for "reminding" new signups to come back. Most forums I have signed up would send me instant email notification upon new posts in the threads I have participated in, as well as upon receiving new PM. Such options would bring me back to the forum easier, so I won't forget about it. As well as easier to find the threads I had posted in.

I would like to have options in Admin CP to change these default options for new signups. Of course, they may change it after they signed up.
(2012-05-09, 05:50 PM)Ram8349 Wrote: [ -> ]I am not sure if this had been mentioned before. Current MyBB default option for new signups is "Do Not Subscribe" for threads, and No email notification upon receiving PM.

These are not good for "reminding" new signups to come back. Most forums I have signed up would send me instant email notification upon new posts in the threads I have participated in, as well as upon receiving new PM. Such options would bring me back to the forum easier, so I won't forget about it. As well as easier to find the threads I had posted in.

I would like to have options in Admin CP to change these default options for new signups. Of course, they may change it after they signed up.

This can cause problems, as much as it can "help" a website. I prefer not to be subscribed to anything, and I make sure not to be email notified. It ticks me off, seeing crap from forums I barely remember in my inbox.

Also, it can lead to having a complaint sent to your host, because people see the emails as SPAM (I've done this to several boards that kept sending me emails). Then, you're in real trouble.
It does not spam when the setting is "subscribe without email notification". Without subscription to the threads you had posted in, it is hard to track what you've been doing on the board. LIke if you made a reply in someone else's thread, you will have a hard time to find the thread again the next time you visit. If you subscribe to every thread you have posted in, they can be easily found in your user CP. That's how I track my own threads since a decade ago on other forums. I didn't even mind email notification.
Not to mention what I asked for is to allow users to change the settings. How is that spam?

I am sure there are many people out there would love instant email notification just like me. The rest would love to subscribe without notification. There is nothing to gain by "Do not subscribe", unless you are an one time visitor to that forum and never return.

Just question yourself, if you have made 10 posts in 10 different threads in varies categories on the forum. How would you be able to find them again without subscribe to those threads? I can easily find them in my User CP because I subscribed.
I don't ever subscribe. Either it's a topic I find interesting/enjoy, and I remember it, or I don't care enough to return. Take this thread, for example. I didn't subscribe; yet, I returned to post again. And, you can also search through the "search.php?action=finduser&uid={$uid}" function, inserting your own UID rather easily. Or, just backtrack through posts you made.

I'll generally ignore the email bit, because I can bet that ten different people would have ten different opinions on the topic. However, I don't think that categorizing people just on your own idea is a good way to go about things.

Your last point: I remember the thread title and/or author. MyBB and other softwares make it easy enough to find threads you've posted in, and the rest is just basic memory skills. People can easily memorize what threads they've posted in, and want to keep up to date on.
Quote:And, you can also search through the "search.php?action=finduser&uid={$uid}" function, inserting your own UID rather easily.

Odin, this shows that you do not really understand the average, non-technical user.

The problem is that currently, subscriptions without e-mail notifications are not very useful because MyBB has no notifications system. I don't even really understand how they work, actually.

Ram, it is very easy to change these default values in the sign-up form. It's also easy to hide these fields (while also having them set whichever default option you wish). I am planning to set the default to subscribe without e-mail once there is a decent notification system for MyBB. This is how IPB works and it's decent.
This link right here brad: http://community.mybb.com/usercp.php?act...scriptions (I guess that's the only thing it does without e-mail notification, don't know of anything else)

I honestly thought they were by default, if not I'd agree to it. Heck, I wouldn't even mind e-mail notifications, considering a user has to be interested in the conversation (Or spamming) to post in a thread anyways, and they can easily hit unsubscribe.

So yeah, +1 for me on this one.
(2012-05-10, 01:43 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:And, you can also search through the "search.php?action=finduser&uid={$uid}" function, inserting your own UID rather easily.

Odin, this shows that you do not really understand the average, non-technical user.

As a newbie on the WBO, this is one of the ways I found some threads I had posted in: clicking that at the bottom of my posts. That was just my way, though, I can see why it wouldn't work for everyone.

(2012-05-10, 01:43 AM)brad-t Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is that currently, subscriptions without e-mail notifications are not very useful because MyBB has no notifications system. I don't even really understand how they work, actually.

Ram, it is very easy to change these default values in the sign-up form. It's also easy to hide these fields (while also having them set whichever default option you wish). I am planning to set the default to subscribe without e-mail once there is a decent notification system for MyBB. This is how IPB works and it's decent.
I didn't even think of the 2.0 notifications system, actually. This would actually work well with that.
(2012-05-10, 01:50 AM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]This link right here brad: http://community.mybb.com/usercp.php?act...scriptions (I guess that's the only thing it does without e-mail notification, don't know of anything else)

I honestly thought they were by default, if not I'd agree to it. Heck, I wouldn't even mind e-mail notifications, considering a user has to be interested in the conversation (Or spamming) to post in a thread anyways, and they can easily hit unsubscribe.

So yeah, +1 for me on this one.

Thanks. I knew about this page but I was wondering if there was some other functionality. IMO not being notified of your subscriptions defeats the point of a subscription. At the same time, using the PM system is too intrusive.

I think a user can be interested in a conversation without wanting e-mails -- I am posting on like 10 forums a day, I know to check them myself, so I definitely would not want e-mails. The goal should be to keep users in your site, so using an external tool like e-mail does not appeal to me much.

Tomm's notification system seems decent, and it will work with 1.8. So we shall see.
Well, I personally think that a user that didn't want the notifications would hit the "don't subscribe" option, especially if they're posting at 10 forums with like, 20 posts a day. I mean, it's really just a question of how much traffic it would actually bring against how many people it would just annoy.
If a user is interested in a topic enough to post in it, then he/she should want to come back to read more replies. Without subscription to the thread, it is hard to track them, especially if you post a lot under many different forums.

I don't know how you track your threads. I do it by going into User CP. It shows me all the threads I had posted in, and it will highlight the ones with new replies. I don't see any other easier way to track those threads.

Majority high traffic forums with tens thousands of signups have instant email notification. I seriously don't see it as a problem as the users are allowed to set it to no email notification. Do not subscription might work on a new forum with very low activities, otherwise your posts disappear into thousands of new posts with no easier way to track them.

People who have no interesting to go back to the threads they have posted in are most likely spammers.
Pages: 1 2 3 4