MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What should I do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
On my forum I keep getting unwanted members. I got about 8 from Russia, Sweden and even Haiti. I am still working on my forum and have not even begun advertising. I have no idea how they even found my site. Its kinda creepy. I just want to make sure everyone on my forum speaks English and possibly north america. Its a gaming forum so I don't even know why these people joined. Can someone help me out? What should I do? Not being racist just wondering how these people are joining when I only have like 1 person from north america.
They're most likely spammers. A large amount of spam comes from Russia.

See: http://community.mybb.com/thread-110224.html
which anti spam do you recommend that will help me the most
There's different type of forum spam, using different methods to spread it. I couldn't say for each individual forum so you'll have to try different ones to see which work for you.
okay. One of the members did post a link and I went to it. Sure enough it was a gambling site trying to get my money. My antivirus did not detect anything and I left the site. Are these spammers just trying to get my attention and have me join their site or trying to steal my information? Am I or my information in any kind of threat right now?
Usually there are three reasons for forum spam:

1. Generating back links to get a higher page rank.
2. Generating back links to nominate a keyword in search engines.
3. Generating back links to attract new members/visitors to their sites.

Some sites may be legitimate, some may be infected with malware. In any case, you shouldn't allow them to spam your community.
Okay thanks for your help