MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Use the portal?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
the portal code is built to make it usable as a landing page but it doe snot need to look like a "portal". take either site in my sig. both are based on portal code
(2012-05-13, 08:32 PM)pavemen Wrote: [ -> ]the portal code is built to make it usable as a landing page but it doe snot need to look like a "portal". take either site in my sig. both are based on portal code

I remember signing up to your site, It's definitely resourceful.
Shortcomings of the default MyBB portal aside, choosing between the portal or the forum index depends on whether your MyBB site is discussion driven or content driven. Content being articles, downloads, etc. In leefish's case, the portal works because

1. It has been heavily customized
2. His site is based more around downloads and content than conversation

Of course, I don't think any of the default pages are good as dynamic content.
(2012-05-13, 08:15 PM)Andrew B. Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks to everyone for your comments. I've gotten comments in the past about my forum looking to plain. I have to rap my head around this, because I like forums that are plain. Although, I do think one of those latest topics lists above (or below) the forum might be nice. That would call out topics more.

Actually, I really liked your board. It was fast and smooth and the sign up process is really good and professional.

I think that your board is a great example of what MYBB is - an excellent forum system. I liked the colours you used and the icons etc are all very sharp and it has a feel of a small but perfect something.

I would not change anything on the theme - and I would keep the index as your landing page with maybe a latest threads box on the side.
Thanks, Leefish. I appreciate your encouraging words.
I'm planning to use the portal as the landing page for my MyBB powered sites. I will be editing it so that it is a three column layout instead of two. I'll be using one or two of Leefish's plugins for it as well. Wink
Pages: 1 2