MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What do you look for in a portal plugin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, I'm coding something for my very personal use (dn't ask).

So I thoug, maybe, and just maybe, I can write an all-in-one portal plugin (instead of several different ones, as I did for my use).

So, I would like to ask you all, what do you seek in a portal plugin (support for what? What you find unnecessary/necessary from any other portal plugin/default portal)?

And just for those who will ask, no, I have no even started coding a single line and I don't know if I ever will, so avoid asking that kind of questions.
Things I would look for in a replacement portal:

Drag and drop for members to configure their own layout
Options in the UCP for members to choose what they have on the portal (set which usergroups can have it) - things like which forums to show on latest threads
Options in the ACP for admin to specify
1) What is available for members to show on the portal
2) An option to make some "blocks" compulsory

Standard built in: Gallery, Hero unit, Sidebar, latest threads, announcements, log-in, favourite forums, top posters, latest members, board messages. Optional Avatar support where members are mentioned.

Trim words in announcements (not characters), have the option to show thumbnail attachments (or not) on portal in the first post of the original thread

All DB queries on the front page to be cacheable.
(2012-05-16, 06:32 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]Things I would look for in a replacement portal:

Drag and drop for members to configure their own layout
Options in the UCP for members to choose what they have on the portal (set which usergroups can have it) - things like which forums to show on latest threads
Options in the ACP for admin to specify
1) What is available for members to show on the portal
2) An option to make some "blocks" compulsory

Standard built in: Gallery, Hero unit, Sidebar, latest threads, announcements, log-in, favourite forums, top posters, latest members, board messages. Optional Avatar support where members are mentioned.

Trim words in announcements (not characters), have the option to show thumbnail attachments (or not) on portal in the first post of the original thread

All DB queries on the front page to be cacheable.

yes would love to have
Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]Drag and drop for members to configure their own layout
I see, so the only thing people can share for the portal will be blocks right? Just like Pro Portal.
desperately need these kind of plugin to change the look and feel of mybb.
An easier way to turn the default two column portal into three columns would be nice!
Hmm well here goes some suggestions:
  • Option to make the portal the default landing page.
  • Option to create custom blocks with your own HTML code (also the option for PHP code there would be kinda nice).
  • Option to rearrange the blocks on your portal to the way you like.
  • Some sort of API support so other people can write custom blocks/modules easily for the portal plugin.
  • A set of default portal blocks some that in my opinion should be included are:
    1. Calendar
    2. Ah block that grabs all the announcements from all the individual forums
    3. etc. (See Leefish list. Has pretty much everything i would like to see)
  • The option to limit the number of characters/words of a announcement on the portal. And when there are more words/characters a Read More button at the bottom.
  • Option to use a different stylesheet for the portal only.

There are probably a few other things, will update if something springs to mind. But those are a few options i would love to see. Not all are necessary but just a few suggestions i guess.
(2012-06-26, 06:04 PM)anori Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm well here goes some suggestions:
  • Option to make the portal the default landing page.
  • Option to create custom blocks with your own HTML code (also the option for PHP code there would be kinda nice).
  • Option to rearrange the blocks on your portal to the way you like.
  • Some sort of API support so other people can write custom blocks/modules easily for the portal plugin.
  • A set of default portal blocks some that in my opinion should be included are:
    1. Calendar
    2. Ah block that grabs all the announcements from all the individual forums
    3. etc. (See Leefish list. Has pretty much everything i would like to see)
  • The option to limit the number of characters/words of a announcement on the portal. And when there are more words/characters a Read More button at the bottom.
  • Option to use a different stylesheet for the portal only.

There are probably a few other things, will update if something springs to mind. But those are a few options i would love to see. Not all are necessary but just a few suggestions i guess.
A lot of these I'd like to see in a portal plugin as well. Whether or not it supported a 3 column design would make or break it for me though.
Three column design is really easy to do on default portal though. You just add the extra TD and drop in the variables you want and there you go. It is how I did it on leefish.
(2012-06-27, 07:28 AM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]Three column design is really easy to do on default portal though. You just add the extra TD and drop in the variables you want and there you go. It is how I did it on leefish.

Is there an easy tutorial I can follow somewhere? I could use help doing that...Blush
Pages: 1 2