MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Large feature suggestion list
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I find there are loads of things that can get better in MyBB, so here goes:

1. Multiple quotes, the ability to tick a quote-button next to several posts and then quote multiple people at once, it's just so much easier than having to post three times -> existing thread about it here
  2. ACP redesign -> existing thread about it here
  3. Updating the default theme to make it span across the entire page, and not have an 80% (that's it right?) width.
  4. Thread subtitles! It only just occurred to me that in MyBB you cannot currently add a subtitle for a thread. I find this a useful feature as I might be a bit more explanatory information before you actually enter a thread.
  5. Make the Pages (n) link to a javascript popup box, asking for a page number. On submit, then show the requested page in the thread.
  6. When I want to create a new thread/post/quote/whatever and I am not logged in, I am redirected to the forum main page after logging it. It would be better if MyBB could remember my choice and redirect me to the appropriate pag afterwards.
  7. When I submitted a post and the post could not be posted, it would be cool if MyBB remembered the post data and displayed it to me, so I can copy it to post it another time.
  8. When going to the ACP, it says I either have not logged in or entered an invalid username/password combination. Can't it just tell me which of the two? Big Grin
  9. In the UCP, the navigation menu on the left should have padding between two list items. The items are too close to eachother and are hard to read.
  10. An option in the ACP "disable topic ratings for entire board" and an option "disable user reputations for entire board". These would be awesome, because I would just use these instead of having to individually disable them all over the place.

I don't have anymore time now, but more will be posted later, so come back to this thread another time!

- Peter
Kilroy Wrote:
  1. Multiple quotes, the ability to tick a quote-button next to several posts and then quote multiple people at once, it's just so much easier than having to post three times -> existing thread about it here Yes, I like this idea. A good adition if it's added.

2. ACP redesign -> existing thread about it here Also good, lots of changes needed for better management

3. Updating the default theme to make it span across the entire page, and not have an 80% (that's it right?) width. No, I like it the way it is. Having it at 100% will make it look ugly IMO.

4. Thread subtitles! It only just occurred to me that in MyBB you cannot currently add a subtitle for a thread. I find this a useful feature as I might be a bit more explanatory information before you actually enter a thread. This idea is ok, but I would prefer the first 10-15 words of the first post in the thread to show on the forums view page.

5. Make the Pages (n) link to a javascript popup box, asking for a page number. On submit, then show the requested page in the thread. I dont understand this. Can you give a better example or screenshot?

6. When I want to create a new thread/post/quote/whatever and I am not logged in, I am redirected to the forum main page after logging it. It would be better if MyBB could remember my choice and redirect me to the appropriate pag afterwards. A bug which has been fixed in Gold.

7. When I submitted a post and the post could not be posted, it would be cool if MyBB remembered the post data and displayed it to me, so I can copy it to post it another time. It does this for me already. If it doesn't for you, your browser may be set not to remember things like that if there is such a thing?? Or it may be your connection/the server is too slow to retrieve the data originally sent.

8. When going to the ACP, it says I either have not logged in or entered an invalid username/password combination. Can't it just tell me which of the two? Big Grin Picky, picky, picky Toungue

9. In the UCP, the navigation menu on the left should have padding between two list items. The items are too close to eachother and are hard to read. I agree, and also more room between the last item and the next heading (another <br /> ??).

10. An option in the ACP "disable topic ratings for entire board" and an option "disable user reputations for entire board". These would be awesome, because I would just use these instead of having to individually disable them all over the place. Easier yes, worth it, probably, but not many people would use it I think. I wouldn't.
1) It would be cool if Chris could find a good way for this, since it's very easy to use and saves huge amounts of time. It should be called something different than Multiple Quotes though, as that would be just ripping IPB.

2) Yes, lots of changes, but those can be detailed in the other post.

3) Depends, not really 100%, something like 90% or so would do. Have a look at this, I find it looks awesome: http://www.invisionresource.com/forums/index.php -> That just looks a lot more spacy and quiet than MyBB, because MyBB has all things packed tightly upon eachother.

4) That sounds cool as well

5) see attached screenshot

7) I'm having network problems, that could be it (sorry)

8) I love being picky :p

9) Yes, Smile

10) I would, anyway. I hate having to tick God knows how many boxes.
1. I don't like the way InvisionBoard handles miltiple quotes. When I click the quote button to quote a post I expect it to instantly take me to the quoting form, not having to click New Reply to post with the quote. This is also confusing for alot of those used to the other methods, for example:

http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=2868
http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=222
http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=115

3. The page container in Gold now spams 96%, padding of 15px.

4. Descriptions/subtitles are a good idea and i've always liked them. Showing a thread preview would involve a fair amount of extra work and maybe some extra querying to show something that could be alot easier conveyed using the descriptions idea.

5. You didn't attach your screenshot, but I know what it means and i will get it implemented.

7. The registration page is currently the only page that does this, howevr I want to expand it out to as many form based pages in MyBB as possible.

8, 9, 10 are on my list as well now too.
Chris Boulton Wrote:1. I don't like the way InvisionBoard handles miltiple quotes. When I click the quote button to quote a post I expect it to instantly take me to the quoting form, not having to click New Reply to post with the quote. This is also confusing for alot of those used to the other methods, for example:

http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=2868
http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=222
http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=115
The solution is to leave the normal button as quote and make a button that says "Multiquote +" for the multiquote button.Smile
What about 6, Chris?

And yes, the solution for multiquote is to have a normal quote button AND a multiquote button.

It's cool that you respond positively to these lists Smile
6 was a bug, like k776 said it has been fixed Toungue

Okay, for these two buttons - what would each say? I imagine the normal quote one would still remain as quote?

Quote + for the new button? Quote - for when it is already highlighted?
Probably Quote - Single Quote
and
Quote This - if you put that next to the post and if a member clicks, that post is added to the list of "to be quoted".

1 more feature you can add : In every user's post, next to their username you could put images giving their MSN messenger, Yahoo, AIM and ICQ ids. Was wondering whether you could do that for gold.Cool
MULTIQUOTE+(or - if its already being quoted) and QUOTE
Multiquote is too long. I suggest:

Quote +/- (for multiquote)
Reply (for single quote, if you really want to "Single Quote" can do as well?)

I know this is very much like Invisionboard, but users will get used to it and it does make more sense.

The mess.be page you refer to, Chris, has the buttons wrong. There's a + next to the "Reply", but that should not be there. I think that when there is a + or a - next to the word "Quote" and there isn't any next to the word "Reply" that it will be clear.

Edit: Nice typo, Chris:

Chris Wrote:The page container in Gold now spams 96%, padding of 15px.
Big Grin
Pages: 1 2