MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I want to know how to edit the theme in my mybb forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am new to mybb forums.
I want to edit theme so that whenever the forum is displayed for any value of any action on the forum, I have two sidebars avaialble on either side of the forum.
I want to do this in the default theme iteself.

What I want o achieve is that I have two sidebars always in ym forum no matter where the user is or what the user is doing on the forum

for example, I have a shop mod installed in the forum.
Now when i go to shop, i don't see a sidebar in the shop section.
oe even if i want to see the profile of a member, i don't see a sidebar in the forum.
I have installed
Sidebox (1.2.0)
Display portal boxes on your forum
Created by Nayar

but it dosen't shows the sidebar on every page ( ie for every action of forum for example action= profile) it dosen't shows the sidebox.

any pointers as to how to go about it?

or if there is some portal mod that I can use so that i can choose boxes with custom html to display on every action of forum?
You would need to include the sidebar in the header section of your templates in order to it to show on all pages.

The 'sideboxes' plugin you're using on effects the forum index
(2012-05-18, 05:42 PM)wils172 Wrote: [ -> ]You would need to include the sidebar in the header section of your templates in order to it to show on all pages.

The 'sideboxes' plugin you're using on effects the forum index

any pointers as to how to go about it?

which file to edit and where to edit.
I am not so good with coding
You could have a look at this tutorial: http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/20..._with_css/
Or possibly hire someone to do it for you.

Like wils said, you've got to edit the header templates since they're included in every page. With the tutorial I linked to you'll also have to edit the footer template.
(2012-05-19, 02:04 AM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]You could have a look at this tutorial: http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/20..._with_css/
Or possibly hire someone to do it for you.

Like wils said, you've got to edit the header templates since they're included in every page. With the tutorial I linked to you'll also have to edit the footer template.

I edited the heder template , but instead of appearing at sidebar, they apeared at top.

I dont know the right div thag maybe then.
Sad

will use this tutorial and then if not done will post back here, thanks for replying
Smile
It's not something easily done without good html/css knowledge I'm afraid. Also, you'll need good experience with MyBB's templates. Keep at it and if you're unable to figure it out you may considering hiring some help.
(2012-05-19, 02:49 AM)wils172 Wrote: [ -> ]It's not something easily done without good html/css knowledge I'm afraid. Also, you'll need good experience with MyBB's templates. Keep at it and if you're unable to figure it out you may considering hiring some help.

Will see if I can do it or not.
I am afrai it s not something I can pay for
Smile
Alright, I went ahead and did this on a test board. It's all on the default theme, so if you have a custom one you'll have to mess around with it.

I added this to the very end of the header template:
    <div id="main">
        <div id="content-1">Left Bar</div>
        <div id="content-2">
            <div id="content-2-1">

I added this to the very beginning of the footer template:
</div>
            <div id="content-2-2">Right Bar</div>
        </div>
    </div>
<br class="clear" />

And I added this to the global.css for the theme:
#content-1 {
    float:left;
    width:200px;
    padding:10px;
    background:#bfb;
}
#content-2-1 {
    width: 500px;
    background:#ddf;
}
#content-2-2 {
    float:right;
    background:#dff;
}
#footer {
    clear:both;
    background:#ff9;
}	

I also set #container to 960px in width.

Hope that works for ya. xp
(2012-05-19, 04:34 AM)Eric J. Wrote: [ -> ]Alright, I went ahead and did this on a test board. It's all on the default theme, so if you have a custom one you'll have to mess around with it.

I added this to the very end of the header template:
    <div id="main">
        <div id="content-1">Left Bar</div>
        <div id="content-2">
            <div id="content-2-1">

I added this to the very beginning of the footer template:
</div>
            <div id="content-2-2">Right Bar</div>
        </div>
    </div>
<br class="clear" />

And I added this to the global.css for the theme:
#content-1 {
    background:#bfb;
}
#content-2-1 {
    width: 500px;
    background:#ddf;
}
#content-2-2 {
    float:right;
    background:#dff;
}
#footer {
    clear:both;
    background:#ff9;
}	

I also set #container to 960px in width.

Hope that works for ya. xp
I am attaching the screenshot.Have a look.
I am not so proficient in html/css but editing in header template is only affecting the header, not the sidebars.
like the sideba has been floated to left. right. it is being displayed on all pages too, but it is above the forums or content if you wish to call it so.

have a look at ascreenshot.

I have added a sidebox by tweaking index template. you can see it as the sidebox A in the screenshot. but again, it affects only the index page and not all apges. What i wanted to achieve was the sidebox like the one inscreenshot to be available on all apges. and not o index page. What you ahve suggested floats the sidebar content to left and I can addanything I want to it. but it still shows up above the forum and not as a sidebar.
I hope i elaborated as much as I can
[Image: Screenshot%20from%202012-05-19%2013%3A02%3A00.png]
Hm, looks like you're inputting the CSS into the wrong file, or maybe the wrong place. Make sure when you add it you go Admin CP > Templates and Style > Theme You're Editing > global.css > Edit Stylesheet: Advanced Mode

Then you just post the CSS in the first post at the very bottom. I got this outcome from it:

[Image: AtTX1.png]
Pages: 1 2