MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Extra Anti-Spam system.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, This will be included on my forum software, but I thought i might as well share the idea with you lot too.

Say we have a user registration page, with the standard CAPTCHA, we are going to get loads of spammers. However, you could have a CAPTCHA and an extra HTML field. This could be used on every page that has user input. Now the robot would fill it in as they would see it, but humans won't. So there you go.

Like so:

<input type="text" name="name-to-trick-bot" style="display: none; visibility: hidden;" />

And the PHP side of thins:

if(!empty($_POST['name-to-trick-bot']))
{
//Display error page
}
else
{
//Continue as usual.
}

I have already tested this system as well as one other, and it works like a dream.

Echo.
It works well because it's not default. If everyone who uses mybb had the same field with the same name bots would work around it.
We've already implemented this.

ACP > Configuration > User Registration and Profile Options > Display a hidden CAPTCHA
(2012-05-18, 05:27 PM)Alex Smith Wrote: [ -> ]It works well because it's not default. If everyone who uses mybb had the same field with the same name bots would work around it.
I suppose.
(2012-05-18, 05:39 PM)Nathan Malcolm Wrote: [ -> ]We've already implemented this.

ACP > Configuration > User Registration and Profile Options > Display a hidden CAPTCHA

Didn't know that. Hahaha. I've seen it, just not really looked at it.
Named my field 'nickname' since I guess bots would consider entering it.