MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How do I read others PMs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I agree it is useful - I think there is a handy report pm plugin - that is good as then IF there is an issue then you can ask the user if you may look in their pms.
Well you can use the plugin listed above in previous posts. That's your best best OP.
(2012-05-18, 11:54 PM)Leefish Wrote: [ -> ]I agree it is useful - I think there is a handy report pm plugin - that is good as then IF there is an issue then you can ask the user if you may look in their pms.

I agree i rather have a system implemented by default into MyBB that lets users report a PM so the mods/admins can review it. But simply searching actively through PM's in the database/ using that plugin. Is to my feeling a breach of somebody's privacy. And you as admin (In My Opinion) Have no rights to look at it unless its reported. I rather have Users send a screenshot with date time name etc with the offensive post then me searching through every PM in the system just to find that one post, in the process violating everybody's privacy. If you use that plugin put a clear notice to users its Actively searched through and should not be seen as Private.
I'll only be using it to see if people are being truthful when they say "blahblah sent me this which is breaking the rules.". How do I know they're being honest? With this tool I can check.
I remember seeing one forum that said right in member agreement that this included reviewing private messages if deemed necessary. That would cover it. Well, except that nobody reads the member agreement.
So long as it's explained in the privacy agreement and your privacy agreement in linked on the footer of all your pages... then your fine..
I mean as an admin / owner you have access to your own database (usually) and you OWN the data in your database (excluding copyrighted content).. so if you can sort through that information manually.. I don't necessarily see a problem with a plugin making it easier for the admin. Sure it's an invasion of privacy if you personify it.. but the reality is that as soon as you use a websites PM system.. it's no longer yours and no longer private. That's why it's better to use email instead of private message if your concerned about privacy.
(2012-06-16, 06:23 PM)GunnerAIO Wrote: [ -> ]So long as it's explained in the privacy agreement and your privacy agreement in linked on the footer of all your pages... then your fine..
I mean as an admin / owner you have access to your own database (usually) and you OWN the data in your database (excluding copyrighted content).. so if you can sort through that information manually.. I don't necessarily see a problem with a plugin making it easier for the admin. Sure it's an invasion of privacy if you personify it.. but the reality is that as soon as you use a websites PM system.. it's no longer yours and no longer private. That's why it's better to use email instead of private message if your concerned about privacy.

That doesnt really matter, emails could be read to so. If google microsoft etc wanted to that data is also in their servers, and they also have server "admins". So that argument is just silly, i my opinion if you do this you will have to be forced to include the information in the privacy information. And on the registration TOS. Because i know in some countries not doing this could be an easy law suit with an easy victory, something called private messages means private only readable for the receiver and the received. If you want to search through it put it in the privacy thingie.

One thing i do wonder with this whole discussion.. would it be possible to write a plugin to encrypt the private messages?
My logic is government mail carriers are required by law to allow certain privacy to mail recipients. Companies are also required by law in most cases to protect consumer privacy.

Websites in general that are not business licensed/company owned, especially when international interests are in question, (as far as I know) are not required to have a EULA which protects user privacy.. now if your host is in California that may be a different story.. but that's the details to the point I'm trying to get at is that nothing is truley secure on the internet... I think us MyBB users just had a strong reminder of that a few days ago...

so anyway, now I installed this plugin to test it out as well as making the changes as suggested by Yoldaram in it's review section.. but I don't see where are the plugin settings or UI in admin cp > configuration > settings
so does this thing work for 1.6.8 or is the viewing menu hidden?

Edit:
yes Anori, I think an encryption plugin would be a good idea. With the keys in a .htaccess blocked directory. That way an attacker would have to gain access to both your MySQL AND that directory (if the attacker got access to your hosting account well.. kiss ur butt goodnight.. lol)
Pages: 1 2