MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Questions about MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1. How does it get money to support its projects? I understand that they take donations from people who make paid plugins but how else does income come in?

2. Are the people who develop MyBB friends in real life? I think it would be kinda hard to develop such a project for such a long time by just Skype, AIM, or forums.

3. If MyBB was to go commercial how much would it cost?

4. Once MyBB 2.0 comes out do you think it will cost? I ask this because by the readings I came to believe it will look very professional and a lot better.

5. Has the MyBB forum software ever been defaced? By defaced I mean has any vulnerabilities ever been taken advantage of?'

6. Do developers get paid?
Quote:1. How does it get money to support its projects? I understand that they take donations from people who make paid plugins but how else does income come in?
It gets a little from the text link ads on the main site. But, otherwise it's all donations and Chris paying the bills to my understanding.
Quote:2. Are the people who develop MyBB friends in real life? I think it would be kinda hard to develop such a project for such a long time by just Skype, AIM, or forums.
To my knowledge none (or very few) are real life friends. The staff is literally scattered across the globe.
Quote:3. If MyBB was to go commercial how much would it cost?
Umm, I would assume around $150 since that's about what other commercial forums are.
Quote:4. Once MyBB 2.0 comes out do you think it will cost? I ask this because by the readings I came to believe it will look very professional and a lot better.
It will be free and open source.
Quote:5. Has the MyBB forum software ever been defaced? By defaced I mean has any vulnerabilities ever been taken advantage of?'
I'm sure it has but security vulnerabilities are patched really quickly (normally within 24 hours from what I've seen).
Quote:6. Do developers get paid?
No they do not.
(2012-05-19, 05:28 PM)Trickshot Wrote: [ -> ]1. How does it get money to support its projects? I understand that they take donations from people who make paid plugins but how else does income come in?

It's mainly supported by donations (Currently we're having issues with PayPal, so we currently can't accept them) and by Chris Boulton, the founder of MyBB, who pays from his own pocket.

(2012-05-19, 05:28 PM)Trickshot Wrote: [ -> ]2. Are the people who develop MyBB friends in real life? I think it would be kinda hard to develop such a project for such a long time by just Skype, AIM, or forums.

Believe it or not, development is mainly through our internal forums and our development site. I've never met any of the other team members in real life though. Some live in Australia, America, Portugal, UK, Fiji, Germany, Holland, all around the globe. Smile

(2012-05-19, 05:28 PM)Trickshot Wrote: [ -> ]3. If MyBB was to go commercial how much would it cost?

It won't ever go commercial, we've made sure of that. After all, free never tasted so good. Because of that I couldn't give an answer.

(2012-05-19, 05:28 PM)Trickshot Wrote: [ -> ]4. Once MyBB 2.0 comes out do you think it will cost? I ask this because by the readings I came to believe it will look very professional and a lot better.

It will be 100% free and open source. All future versions of MyBB will be too. Smile

(2012-05-19, 05:28 PM)Trickshot Wrote: [ -> ]5. Has the MyBB forum software ever been defaced? By defaced I mean has any vulnerabilities ever been taken advantage of?'

On this particular forum, or in general? This forum was hacked back in 2004 and the database was dropped but not since.

In general, yes there have been vulnerabilities within MyBB but it's fair to say every web application has it's vulnerabilities. MyBB has a relatively low-risk security record and patches have been known to be released within hours of discovery.

(2012-05-19, 05:28 PM)Trickshot Wrote: [ -> ]6. Do developers get paid?

No, every team member is a volenteer and we work in our own spare time. Smile
Thanks for answering my questions. Those who are mods have the permission to close this thread now. Smile